Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New debt owner not reporting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New debt owner not reporting?

I have a negative account through LensCrafters/GECapital that was "charged off" and the debt sold to NCO. I guess I'm just confused as to why there isn't a report on by the new debt owner. I do not remember paying the debt although it's possible that I may have. They were closed when I called today so I will try again Monday. I guess until I find out the answer for sure, that this post is sort of moot but I'm still interested in whether anyone else dealt with a situation where a debt was owed but was not reported. How did you handle it? Also, is a GW letter the only way to get the GE bank(now called Synchrony Bank) to removed the charged off status from my report?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New debt owner not reporting?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a negative account through LensCrafters/GECapital that was "charged off" and the debt sold to NCO. I guess I'm just confused as to why there isn't a report on by the new debt owner. I do not remember paying the debt although it's possible that I may have. They were closed when I called today so I will try again Monday. I guess until I find out the answer for sure, that this post is sort of moot but I'm still interested in whether anyone else dealt with a situation where a debt was owed but was not reported. How did you handle it? Also, is a GW letter the only way to get the GE bank(now called Synchrony Bank) to removed the charged off status from my report?

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

There is no law that forces a creditor or CA to report an item to your report, the law is if they report the info must be accurate, in any case I would be finding out if you did pay it off or if its still sitting there unpaid. If its unpaid you might consider settling it in exchange for not reporting it. As far as the Synchrony Bank CO yes you would need to send the GW letter to try and get that TL removed, sometimes it takes more than 1 to get what your are after.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I've read a lot of bad things about NCO—that they aren't too friendly. Since the account is two years old, I'm just worried that if I bring up the debt, they will report it. On the other hand, it would be nice to know whether I actually paid it.

As for Synchrony, I've read some success stories on here regarding GW calls and letters. One account said it took multiple calls but that they eventually got on the line with someone reasonable. My only problem is that, I didn't only have a 30 day late. The debt was sold and also charged off. To my credit, I was unemployed at the time. I just hope that accept my reasoning.
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I've read a lot of bad things about NCO—that they aren't too friendly. Since the account is two years old, I'm just worried that if I bring up the debt, they will report it. On the other hand, it would be nice to know whether I actually paid it.

As for Synchrony, I've read some success stories on here regarding GW calls and letters. One account said it took multiple calls but that they eventually got on the line with someone reasonable. My only problem is that, I didn't only have a 30 day late. The debt was sold and also charged off. To my credit, I was unemployed at the time. I just hope that accept my reasoning.

All you can do is try Smiley Happy

One other thing, when dealing with CAs you want to be sure they are past your states SOL or you have the funds to settle it in full at the time of contact. Creditors still within your states SOL can still use the court system to obtain a judgment.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.