Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New debt...thanks a lot doc!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New debt...thanks a lot doc!

Not sure where to post this but here goes. I went to a weight loss clinic in the beginning of January with a friend. I paid a single price for my initial appointment, and 3 months in the program. They asked me to pee in a cup and I followed directions. Not another mention about it until Friday when I checked my mail and found an invoice from a company called forensic laboratories located in Denver ordered by the weight loss clinic doctor...for over $1400!!!! My friend who went at the same time as me had no insurance and was never invoiced for anything. Aside from this being poor practice IMO...is that even legal for a doctor to send your stuff somewhere that will incur outrageous charges without notice? I stupidly assumed that they were just going to take my cup and dip some test strip in it right there...I don't know! But why does this happen just a few months into my credit rebuilding? My knee-jerk reaction is to tell them screw you! But I really feel it's on the Dr office..they're the ones who ordered the tests in the most expensive way possible. I just don't know what to do.

If anyone made it through all that, thank you...any advice?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New debt...thanks a lot doc!

Submit the invoice to your insurance.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lab already has. their original amount was for $1800. I dont know how to add a picture in my post but for example it says 1 line item under charges is $92.68, then it says Ins Mgmt Administrators-TPA- Contractual Allowance $-27.80, and then it says total due $64.88. So it looks like they submitted to my insurance and then billed me for whatever the difference was.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a ridiculously high amount for labs.

"contractual allowance" is usually the discount your insurance negotiates - then your insurance should pay a portion of whats left  - usually 80%. Does it even show the portion your insurance actually paid? I would contact my insurance a find out what the heck is going on. Do you perhaps have a large deductible that has not been met?

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The lab already has. their original amount was for $1800. I dont know how to add a picture in my post but for example it says 1 line item under charges is $92.68, then it says Ins Mgmt Administrators-TPA- Contractual Allowance $-27.80, and then it says total due $64.88. So it looks like they submitted to my insurance and then billed me for whatever the difference was.

Find out if they're in network. Many insurance providers don't allow this kind of "balance billing."

So, they're asking for $64.88 of the $1,800? Or is there another bill for a large amount?

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is absolutely ridiculously high! You can have a full hair follicle lab test as a walk in somewhere local for probably 200 bucks..(I've been told. Also that a urinalysis could be like 50!) So this surprise invoice voice is really giving me some heartburn. I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance and since this was done on 1/7 it hadn't been met yet. But my issue is more with the doctor as can they actually do something like that? Why had my friend with no insurance just had her test included in her initial price? I should have been told if they were going to do something to incur significant charges to me. I can't believe that...I'm steaming from my ears!
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi iceinjuly...no they're asking for 1400 of 1800. The 68 # was just an example of how the line items are broken down. If they are out of network does that mean they they can bill me whatever they feel like?
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi iceinjuly...no they're asking for 1400 of 1800. The 68 # was just an example of how the line items are broken down. If they are out of network does that mean they they can bill me whatever they feel like?

Yes. Out of network providers can take whatever the insurance offers, then bill you the difference. In network providers have to use the contractual allowance (which is what it looks like, based on what you posted).

Unfortunately, if you haven't met your deductible, either way you're on the hook for it since the insurance isn't covering anything. At this point, a lot of it is going to depend on your insurance. I'd get on the line with them ASAP to sort it out, and probably get a copy of all the paperwork from the doctor. 

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe that. Why the fack would the doctor do that to me and not my uninsured friend? And WHY wouldn't they have told me?

I will take your advice and contact my insurance. My next stop is the clinic...they need to explain this to me. That should be illegal.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did your friend pay the same price? 

She may have a bill floating around out there, too, but without insurance it's a different process. Or there was a paperwork error and this could be an easy fix.

Medical debts are such a pain. This is precisely why it shouldn't be allowed on your credit report. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.