cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

tag
fireguy01

New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all!  Like it states above, I am new..Any advice some of you seasoned guys can offer would be appreciated. 

TU 610

Experian 630

Exquifax - A work in progress....cant seem to validate my info with them online, so I have to get report and score via snail mail. 

So here it goes. I was sloppy with my credit when I was younger. Currently, I have 2 judgments. 1 paid off. Another for $4,000. This judgment is currently being pursued by a law firm. 

In collections I have a $280.00 bill (made a settlement offer today for 50% and complete deletion of all info from all 3 CA's). AFNI for $300 (offered $175, but they refuse to remove info from all 3 CA's....so I keep working it). Ford Credit for $4000.00 (Charged off, connected to judgement), LVNV (HSBC card for $700.00) 

Ford credit and LVNV/HSBC are marked to come off my credit on 7/2014. So I havent touched them. 

Here is where I really messed up. I watched my credit climb from 529 to the 600's in a month and a half. I noticed I had no credit in my name, and was under the assumption that HARD pulls came off after only a month. Boy was I wrong. 

I now have 9 hard pulls. (1 is from a collections account, listed as 'individual' credit pull......So should I dispute that)....

I currently have the following cards. 

Capital one platinum $300

Macy's store $300

Walmart store $500

Amazon visa $600

Victoria Secret $250

Barclays NFL (unknown....approved over the phone and wouldnt tell me the CL)

Kohls $300

Target $300

I have a total of 45 open accounts (most student loans deferred for the next 2 months). No other loans. no mortgages. No bankrupsies. 

Also, I was just married in August. How does getting married affect credit?

Hey...thanks for any info guys. You are a BIG help!

11/2013
TU FICO:610 Ex FICO:630 EQ: FICO 612
CK FAKO: 591 CS FAKO: 629
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

Re: New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm new myself. Welcome
Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 2 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

@fireguy01 wrote:

Hi all!  Like it states above, I am new..Any advice some of you seasoned guys can offer would be appreciated. 

TU 610

Experian 630

Exquifax - A work in progress....cant seem to validate my info with them online, so I have to get report and score via snail mail. 

So here it goes. I was sloppy with my credit when I was younger. Currently, I have 2 judgments. 1 paid off. Another for $4,000. This judgment is currently being pursued by a law firm.  For the paid off judgment, see if your state allows for satisfied judgments to be vacated.  I would definitely work something out with the law firm so you do not get your wages garnished.

In collections I have a $280.00 bill (made a settlement offer today for 50% and complete deletion of all info from all 3 CA's). AFNI for $300 (offered $175, but they refuse to remove info from all 3 CA's....so I keep working it). Ford Credit for $4000.00 (Charged off, connected to judgement), LVNV (HSBC card for $700.00)   When the judgment is paid, so will the Ford Credit.   If you settle with AFNI and they won't delete, start sending them GW letters.

Ford credit and LVNV/HSBC are marked to come off my credit on 7/2014. So I havent touched them.   Unpaid debt does not go away, even after removal from your CR.

Here is where I really messed up. I watched my credit climb from 529 to the 600's in a month and a half. I noticed I had no credit in my name, and was under the assumption that HARD pulls came off after only a month. Boy was I wrong. 

I now have 9 hard pulls. (1 is from a collections account, listed as 'individual' credit pull......So should I dispute that)....No, a CA has permissible purpose to do a HP.

I currently have the following cards. What is your utilization on these cards?

Capital one platinum $300

Macy's store $300

Walmart store $500

Amazon visa $600

Victoria Secret $250

Barclays NFL (unknown....approved over the phone and wouldnt tell me the CL)

Kohls $300

Target $300

I have a total of 45 open accounts (most student loans deferred for the next 2 months). No other loans. no mortgages. No bankrupsies. 

Also, I was just married in August. How does getting married affect credit?  That depends.  Anything after the marriage, depending on the state, could end up on either spouses CR.  Prior to marriage there would be no change.

Hey...thanks for any info guys. You are a BIG help!

Message 3 of 19
fireguy01

Guiness, 

Thanks for the info! I will have to see if Michigan allows for judgements to be vacated. 

Ugh....The law firm. Yea. I gotta deal with these guys. 

AFNI is a work of constant progress, but they are at the head of the line, as they are a pretty low balance. 

As for unpaid debt not going away, I have been attempting to work with LVNV funding for quite a while. They referred me to HSBC when I called and asked them to validate the debt, or (in a nut shell) produce any thing with my signature on it because (honestly) I dont remember having the card EVER. LVNV cant produce it, and HSBC said they dont have it either. I explained to them that if they cant validate the debt with an invoice, or even a signature binding me to an agreement, that they dont have valid debt that I owe. I have disputed this several times with all 3 CA's....but according to the CA's, they have no power over a dispute. They said it sends an electronic signal to the collection agency, and it is up to them to validate the debt and respond. I sometimes wonder if they get the dispute and say 'yep....we listed it so clearly we have the info VALIDATE'....because they cant produce anything to me. 

MY utilization is HIGH on my capital one card. It is my daily user. I have talked to them, but I am in the Credit steps program, so they recommended waiting another 3 months until I ask for a CL increase. As for the others. .....almost nothing. I pay off all my cards at the end of each month, total balance. Kays card min pay is $65 a month, i pay $150 a month on it (the interest is crazy high).....I believe total credit card utilization at this point is 29%.

11/2013
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 4 of 19
madmann26
Valued Contributor

In addition to what Guiness said, 

Some states with community property laws will consider the debt as joint but this is only after the marriage and also applies to applications for credit as well.

Unless you write each CRA (and provide the needed documentation) and specifically request that both credit reports be merged, they won't do it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 19
fireguy01

Yea......

I've never seen my wife's credit score. She has a car loan out, and has stated her credit is in the 700 range. She also is paying on a huge medical bill....so I highly doubt she wants to combine credit. On the same token, I def want to keep everything seperate as possible for as long as possible. I've heard tons of stories...lol. 

As of now, We still have NO community properity, we split bills, money is seperate, as is credit. She doesnt carry or use my cards....except for victoria secret, when I go to the mall with her. 

11/2013
Message 6 of 19
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@fireguy01 wrote:

Yea......

I've never seen my wife's credit score. She has a car loan out, and has stated her credit is in the 700 range. She also is paying on a huge medical bill....so I highly doubt she wants to combine credit. On the same token, I def want to keep everything seperate as possible for as long as possible. I've heard tons of stories...lol. 

As of now, We still have NO community properity, we split bills, money is seperate, as is credit. She doesnt carry or use my cards....except for victoria secret, when I go to the mall with her. 

Well,

Credit reporting and being joint on an account are two different things.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 19
fireguy01

right, I understand that. 

We have no joint accounts. I was under the impression that at some point, being married would have an impact on our credit as individuals. I know my ex had stuff showing up on her credit report for stuff her ex husband let go to collections. 

We have no joint accounts. 

11/2013
Message 8 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@fireguy01 wrote:

right, I understand that. 

We have no joint accounts. I was under the impression that at some point, being married would have an impact on our credit as individuals. I know my ex had stuff showing up on her credit report for stuff her ex husband let go to collections. 

We have no joint accounts. 

Being married can affect your credit whether or not it is a joint account.   Some of it depends on state laws.

Say for instance a medical debt, no matter who is responsible for the debt and who went to the hospital,  can show up on both reports.  Reason is the laws some states have adopted where spouses are equally responsible for debt that is considered for well being.  I can't remember the exact wording of it.

Message 9 of 19
fireguy01

ouch. 

Thats good to know. It seems me and my wife are two different people, and thus we take topics seriousness differently. 

messing with insurance and medical bills is something i dont mess around with. Then again, I'm a paramedic....haha. I deal with medical billing ALOT....and deal with people who dont pay their medical bills ALOT. She on the other hand, isnt so serious about it. 

So this is def nice to know. 

11/2013
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.