cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

tag
BluJay
New Contributor

Re: New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

You do not need 45 credit cards. Keep the oldest accounts and get rid of the store cards you never use. Pull your credit report from freeannualcreditreport.com so you can see what your working with. It's not good to have that much available credit since it's riskier for a credit company to judge whether or not your going to go on a splurg one day and max them all out. Try to cut down to 25 cards that's a little more than half of what you have now and that shouldn't hurt your credit score if their the most recent fully paid accounts. Then try and keep weeding out the junk accounts to get down to where you feel comfortable, less accounts with a longer aging history and balances of less than 20% on each card. Don't transfer balances back and forth to close accounts, and watch out for future sign on account incentives on applications, in the long run the sign on incentives are more hurtful than helpful. Look for cards that have more incentives built into the card for the life of the card, 1% cash back and up is common on most cards.

Tier One; 760-850. Tier Two: 700-759. Tier Three: 660-699. Tier Four: 620-659. Tier Five: 580-619. Tier Six: 500-579.
Message 11 of 19
fireguy01

Re: New here. Starting from the hole I got myself into. Any advice is appreciated.

What is this advice pointed to? or who?

I dont see anyone on this pos tthat has 45 credit cards. :/

11/2013
TU FICO:610 Ex FICO:630 EQ: FICO 612
CK FAKO: 591 CS FAKO: 629
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 12 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 13 of 19
fireguy01

ahhh. makes sense. 

45 open accounts. Most of them student loans. Each time a student loan is taken out (each semester) a new account is opened. 2 Loans per semester. 

And BOOM. Next thing you know.....tons of accounts. 

11/2013
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 14 of 19
fireguy01

I spent most of the day searching and finally drafting a 'order regarding motion to set aside default'. I did nothing more than write a GW letter to the judge, and its gonna cost me about $20 to file, plus whatever it cost to serve midland funding llc. 

Also, got in touch with MID MICHIGAN COLLECTIONS. I emailed them early yesterday with an offer of 50% settlement with full removal of account. Randomly a guy calls me today and asks for my address and my full name, and would only tell me his first name. I ended up dropping the call. About an hour later I received an email from MMCB stating that I hung up on the supervisor, and my they were not interested in my offer. They want full payment with account showing paid and closed. Im gonna keep working on these folks...every day if I have too. They are a 10 person company, and after some research, I was able to get ahold of the owners address and phone numbers....but not an email. I wanted to email the owner(s) personally. I'll keep working on that. 

But Question. I have a judgment for 2000 that my ex gf (never married) took out. It was a prepaid card. They never froze the money. So she maxed it out and then withdrew the money. I never signed anything. I disputed the judgment with all 3 Credit agency's...and it disappeared. However, I am still showing a collection account for the card, from both the bank and a collection agency. I called the bank, who said the account is closed. They did some research and could not find my name anywhere in the account info. So the lady said she was going to access the credit card system and look....after 10 minutes I asked if she could just call me back when she was done searching. She said yes...took my info. Never heard back from her. Ive disputed the account about 5 times...they keep validating it. What is my next step?

11/2013
Message 15 of 19
12njoy
Super Contributor

File a complaint with the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) since your name appears no where on the account.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 16 of 19
12njoy
Super Contributor

It seems as the CRA's just get an electronic notice from the creditor and bam account is validated.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 17 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@fireguy01 wrote:

I spent most of the day searching and finally drafting a 'order regarding motion to set aside default'. I did nothing more than write a GW letter to the judge, and its gonna cost me about $20 to file, plus whatever it cost to serve midland funding llc. 

Also, got in touch with MID MICHIGAN COLLECTIONS. I emailed them early yesterday with an offer of 50% settlement with full removal of account. Randomly a guy calls me today and asks for my address and my full name, and would only tell me his first name. I ended up dropping the call. About an hour later I received an email from MMCB stating that I hung up on the supervisor, and my they were not interested in my offer. They want full payment with account showing paid and closed. Im gonna keep working on these folks...every day if I have too. They are a 10 person company, and after some research, I was able to get ahold of the owners address and phone numbers....but not an email. I wanted to email the owner(s) personally. I'll keep working on that. 

But Question. I have a judgment for 2000 that my ex gf (never married) took out. It was a prepaid card. They never froze the money. So she maxed it out and then withdrew the money. I never signed anything. I disputed the judgment with all 3 Credit agency's...and it disappeared. However, I am still showing a collection account for the card, from both the bank and a collection agency. I called the bank, who said the account is closed. They did some research and could not find my name anywhere in the account info. So the lady said she was going to access the credit card system and look....after 10 minutes I asked if she could just call me back when she was done searching. She said yes...took my info. Never heard back from her. Ive disputed the account about 5 times...they keep validating it. What is my next step?

If it isn't yours file an FTC Fraud Affidavit, file a police report and send both to the CRAs and have them block the account.  You do not need to prove it.

Also send them to the both the OC and the CA and ask for all documentation, billing history, etc of the account.

Message 18 of 19
fireguy01

The police wont let me file a report....they said this would normally fall under identity theft but because the bank stated to me that they couldnt find my name anywhere on the account, no identity theft has actually occured. They said this is a problem with the bank, not my ex. 

So basically, the bank is reporting this as my bad debt....but my name is nowhere on it. Its straight up a shady business practice. 

11/2013
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.