Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here & need help...

tag
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

New here & need help...

HI all. I've been reading through the forums for a while now & I can't help but admire those that have made such great progress as they repair their credit & I love how everyone is helping everyone-- true blessings :-)  

Over the past few years I've been making efforts to repair my used-to-be great credit & I have been able to take care of a few debts successfully. Due to money being tight in the recent times, I haven't been able to take care of much until now. I plan to purchase a home by next year & need ALL of the help possible to make my dream come true. All help is MUCH APPRECIATED!! Smiley Happy

I pulled my reports from all 3 bureaus (TU froze on me so I wasn't able to print it & can't get it again without paying...ughh) & I disputed almost everything except my student loans (I have about 10 b/c I've been going to school on & off for over 10 years) b/c they are deferred (I'm back in school). I wrote a few GW letters in hopes that they'd help me out on my path to great credit again. 

Here's my progress since 4/24/12:

EXPERIAN-

PUBLIC RECORD DROPPED OFF - ASSET ACCEPTANCE LLC ( 

3 OTHER COLLECTION ITEMS DROPPED OFF -- NCO FINANCIAL (PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE)

PLAINS COMMERCE BANK (TOTAL VISA)...I got a letter from a collection agency a few days ago & I sent a DV letter... was that the right thing to do?

ALLGATE FINANCIAL (REWARDS 660/DAKOTA STATE BANK)...YAAYYYY!!! :-) 

I am currently on a trial with Identity Guard & my FAKO scores are:  EQ- 568    TU- 586     EX- 518

MYFICO score is: 591

I set my targer goal for 680 although I really want 800Smiley Happy but I'll be realistic..that's gonna take more time than a year.

I currently have 1 unsecured CC with Capital One (balance is $1760) & its @ the limit (yikes!)...should I pay the entire balance off @ 1 time??)

I plan to get a secured card (Should I apply for 2 from 2 different banks?) in the next few weeks from a CU (Is this a smart move?) What's a decent amount to put on it & how should I pay it when I use it? Should I open a bank account with the CU as well? Will that make a difference?

COLLECTION ACCOUNTS:

EASTERN ACCOUNT SYSTEM I  ($1610) -medical bill

AFNI - Verizon  $518

(EX says its supposed to stay on record until June 2012....will this automatically drop off?? What should I do about it with EQ & TU? I don't want to "wake it up" if I don't have to Smiley Frustrated but I want it gone!)

ACS EDUCATION SERVICES, Student loan assigned to the government  $1491-- what do I do with this one...PIF? Will they accept a PFD??

CONTINENTAL FINANCE - $551 TRANSFERRED, CLOSED....WRITTEN OFF...TRANSFERRED TO RECOVERY-- should I try to PFD this?

FIRST PREMIER BANK- CHARGE OFF, $285 WRITTEN OFF  - I want it gone!  (How should I proceed to have this removed?)

FIRST PREMIER BANK- PAID, CLOSED @ CONSUMER'S REQUEST  -- I want it gone! 

MACY'S- CLOSED @ CONSUMER'S REQUEST - PAID, CLOSED. $496 WRITTEN OFF  - I want it gone...how?

NATIONAL STUDENT LOAN (WELLS FARGO)- Collection account  $1311....should I try PFD?

UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX - PAID, CLOSED $179 WRITTEN OFF...I want this gone!

Please tell me what I should do-- how do I get these off of my report, if possible? And how do I boost my score ASAP....I know it takes time but I'm willing & ready TODAY to do whatever it takes! 

Thanks in advance!!   Smiley Happy

**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

*OVERALL CREDIT CARD LIMITS: $163,150*

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K
Student Loans: $40k+

FICO 8 - 4/25/17: EQ 648 - EX 654 - TU 632
FICO 8 - 8/27/18: EQ 684 - EX 696 - TU 713
FICO8 1/14/22: EX 713 - EQ 703 -TU 723
FICO 8 4/7/23: EX 713 - EQ 715 -TU 729
FICO 8 4/30/23: EX 733
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Re: New here & need help...

I actually just looked @ some old paperwork & the AFNI (VERIZON) was settled in full 11/22/10!! -- What should I do about this being that its due to drop off of EX 6/2012? (Not sure when its expected to drop off from EQ & TU).  Should I dispute it with ALL bureaus or wait it out?  

EQ says: Collection Account 

EX says: Collection Account

TU says: Automated Account?? (huh??)

**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closed and paid = GW letter.  Having no monetary incentive to offer, you must rely on their good-will.

As for the unpaids, the normal path is to offer payment in exchange for their agreement to delete their reporting.

As for CR deletion of charge-offs and collections based on expiration of their credit report exclusion date, the CRA is required to exclude then after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.  You dont have to request exclusion... they have a statutory obligation to monitor that date, and exclude once the period expires.

The key is that the CRA has the correct DOFD in their file, as the calculation of the exclusion date is only as good as the reported DOFD upon which they are basing the calculation.  Is the DOFD correctly reported?

Not to dampen your hopes, but significant score jumps when a file shows multiple, major derogs is usually not achieved until all of the derogs are deleted/excluded.

Some improvement will come from each you can get deleted, but they most likely wont be at a level meeting your hopes.

Message 3 of 4
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Thanks For replying Robert :-)

Understandable. I have to review the DOFD to make sure they have them reported correctly. What about the CU? Is that worth a shot @ trying to increase my score?

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.