cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here and in need of advice.

tag
FiSTersLTW

New here and in need of advice.

Brand new to the forum, and have been reading a lot. But even still feeling more overwhelmed and confused. My scores are around a 525 according to creditkarma, which reading on here found out isnt too acurate. But even still I am needing some advice on where exactly to start, and what my plan of action should be. I am in the Army, and moving (PCSing) this August and shortly after would like to start looking for a house to buy in colorado where I'll be going. Most of this is from when i was 18 (young and dumb). SInce I enlisted in the army I have only been late on maybe one payment (my car back in 2011 when the military didnt know if they were going to pay us on the 1st or not).  Here are the list of things reporting negative:

Bank of America
StatusSmiley Tongueaid, Closed $464 written off
Date opened:09/2008

DOFD: 01/2009

Desert Schools FCU

Status; Paid, Closed $526 written off.

Date Opened: 06/2008

Charged off: 12/2008

It was a checking account.

Capital One/ Best buy

Date opened: 04/2008

DOFD: 06/2008

Balance $1475

Kay Jewelers:

Date opened 03/2008

DOFD: 07/2008

Balance $658

LVNV Funding, LLC

Status, Collection account $2041 past due as of May 2013

Date opened 12/2008

Collection as of Feb 2009

Medical Resource Systems

Date opened: 07/2008

collection as of may 2012

Midland Funding

OC: T-mobile,

Pinnacle Credit services

Date opened 11/2010

Went to collections may 2011

RGS Financial

Status, collection account $544 past due as of april 2013

date opened 06/2012

collection as of april 2013

RJM Acquisitions

opened 12/2011

went to collections 2/2012

I know I am probably missing a lot of information, I am just looking for some friendly advice on where to start. I know that I cant PIF all of these at one time, and im sure somone here has been in the same situation. Thank you in advance to all that reply, and I am looking forward to getting this journey started.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: New here and in need of advice.

@FiSTersLTW wrote:

Brand new to the forum, and have been reading a lot. But even still feeling more overwhelmed and confused. My scores are around a 525 according to creditkarma, which reading on here found out isnt too acurate. But even still I am needing some advice on where exactly to start, and what my plan of action should be. I am in the Army, and moving (PCSing) this August and shortly after would like to start looking for a house to buy in colorado where I'll be going. Most of this is from when i was 18 (young and dumb). SInce I enlisted in the army I have only been late on maybe one payment (my car back in 2011 when the military didnt know if they were going to pay us on the 1st or not).  Here are the list of things reporting negative:

Bank of America
StatusSmiley Tongueaid, Closed $464 written off

Desert Schools FCU

Date Opened: 06/2008

Capital One/ Best buy

Date opened: 04/2008

Balance $1475

Kay Jewelers:

Date opened 03/2008

Balance $658

LVNV Funding, LLC

Date opened 12/2008

Medical Resource Systems

Midland Funding

Pinnacle Credit services

Date opened 11/2010

RGS Financial

date opened 06/2012

RJM Acquisitions

opened 12/2011

I know I am probably missing a lot of information, I am just looking for some friendly advice on where to start. I know that I cant PIF all of these at one time, and im sure somone here has been in the same situation. Thank you in advance to all that reply, and I am looking forward to getting this journey started.

Welcome to the forum and we always give friendly and objective advice

If your plan is to pay them all off search the forum for PFD=pay for delete if they agree in writing then pay them also read DV and GW letters 

Good luck and best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
kmids
New Contributor

What I'm doing with my stuff if going to the most recent stuff first with PFD. Then the least money. Once i see my new scores then decide if I negotiate settlement or PIF for the older high dollar items.
Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@FiSTersLTW wrote:

Bank of America
StatusSmiley Tongueaid, Closed $464 written off  Sending a GW letter is all you can do for this one as it is paid.

Desert Schools FCU

Date Opened: 06/2008                        GW letter.

Capital One/ Best buy

Date opened: 04/2008        Should be reporting a 0 balance since it is transferred so it is reporting inaccurately.

Balance $1475

Kay Jewelers:

Status: Paid, Closed, $658 written off     GW letter.  It is reporting inaccurately since it is reporting a balance and it is paid.

Date opened 03/2008

Balance $658

LVNV Funding, LLC

Date opened 12/2008

Medical Resource Systems

Midland Funding

Pinnacle Credit services

Date opened 11/2010

RGS Financial

date opened 06/2012

RJM Acquisitions

opened 12/2011

Where did you pull your reports from?   Each of the CA accounts have confusing information.  Such as the open date is before the collections date.  With a CA account the open date is the date the CA acquired the debt.  The went to collections date should not be after that.

Message 4 of 10
FiSTersLTW

I pulled the reports from Annualcreditreport.com, got equifax and experian. The TU one couldnt verify my identity for some reason, so I have to call to get that one. Also looking at the reports again, the balance that I typed in for the accounts you questioned was the "high balance" not the Recent balance. So im guessing thats the amount it got to before it was written off, or transferred or whatever the case was for the specific account. Will be writing the 3 GW tonight to the above suggested accounts. And hopefully this weekend getting some PFDs ready to be mailed out. Thank you guys for all the advice. It is definately a learning process.

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

High balance is the highest balance the account ever had and is not scored by FICO.

Message 6 of 10
electra
Established Contributor

Echo the suggestions from above.  Start w/GW letters and also PFD what you can.  I would start with the most recent first as those will be having the most impact.  Do you have any open CCs? What is your utilization?

Since you are in the Army you should be able to qualify with Navy Federal Credit Union. They are AWESOME for folks with lower credit scores.  I would highly encourage you to open an account with them and see about getting a CC.  You might need to go with a secured card first but I would apply for the non-secured and if it's turned down then go for secured.   I was able to get a $5k VISA signature card when my score was 584. YMMV.

Message 7 of 10
FiSTersLTW

Both me and my wife have secured cards through NFCU 1000 limit on each. About 50% utilization on each which I'm trying to pay down as well. But I will be sending 3 GW letters as well as 2 PFD letters today. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I have some answers to them. I'm hoping because all my accounts I have now have always been recent, once I have these deleted. My credit score improves to at least a 600 something
Message 8 of 10
frovie
New Visitor

The first goal should be getting out of debt, not worrying about your score.  Any open old debts you have trying to be collected on, I would send them an offer for 20% of the balance and delete the negative report and see what they counter with.  Pay off one at a time as they come to terms that you agree with.  Make sure that you get everything signed and in writing, and never let them do a bank draft or give them bank info.  Send your letters and payments certified and keep all your receipts and letters from them forever and ever amen.

Concerning your older closed accounts, you can send them the GW letter like others suggested (do those actually work?) or just dispute the accounts with each agency, and see if they want to bother with trying to verifying an account 5 years old.

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@frovie wrote:

The first goal should be getting out of debt, not worrying about your score.  Any open old debts you have trying to be collected on, I would send them an offer for 20% of the balance and delete the negative report and see what they counter with.  Pay off one at a time as they come to terms that you agree with.  Make sure that you get everything signed and in writing, and never let them do a bank draft or give them bank info.  Send your letters and payments certified and keep all your receipts and letters from them forever and ever amen.

Concerning your older closed accounts, you can send them the GW letter like others suggested (do those actually work?) or just dispute the accounts with each agency, and see if they want to bother with trying to verifying an account 5 years old.

Disputing accurate information and telling others to do so is against the TOS of the forums.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.