cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New, just starting to clean up my reports.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New, just starting to clean up my reports.

Hello.

I've recently come into a windfall, and decided it is time to get my financial  house in order. I pulled my three credit reports today, and it looks pretty bleak.

Exp: 587

EQ: 541

TU: 567

I don't have a FICO score, because I have been using cash or prepaid cards for a long time. I have a joint account with my partner that I solely use, but it is less than six months old. The only information on my reports are some older medical bills totaling about $1400.00, and some older medical collections accounts that have been paid but are still on my credit report.

Do I pay those off in full? Is it worth it to try PFDs? Ethically, I want everything paid, but I want to pay it in the way that will boost my score the most. After that, I'm going to talk to my credit union about a secured card.

Do investment accounts affect one's FICO? I will be investing some of the windfall for the future.

This is all like learning a new language without a textbook.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: New, just starting to clean up my reports.

Don't pay any attention to a score that isn't a fico. They are very misleading. You will need 6 mos of account history to generate a fico score. Starting with a secured card from your local CU is a good start. I recommend you start with 3 secured cards. Capital One also has a great secured card. As your local CU if they do secured loans as well and make sure they report to the CRA'S.

As far as the medical collections goes, for the paid ones send a GW letter and see where that gets you. As for the unpaid ones send a PFD letter. I had 7 medical collections and every single one of them refused a PFD. I had success removing them by sending a GW after I piffed the accounts
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Smiley Happy

I started making phone calls and paying accounts I recognized today. There are a few I need to verify, and some that need GW letters.

One step at a time.

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on being able pay these off and improve your finances.  Always try for a PFD first, this will be your best first course of action.  If not, then pay it and GW it.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.