Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member here looking for some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New member here looking for some advice

Hello all,

I've been lurking these forums for a while now and decided today to become a member. I've used a lot of information here to help rebuild my credit. I was irresponsible when I was in college and that resulted in a few of my accounts being charged off. I now serve in the military and im able to pay back some of my debts. I recently paid back American Express in full. I eventually want to get back in with Amex, but at this time I want to increase my credit scores.

Here's a little info on my credit profile

Current Scores Per Credit Karma:
TU- 724
EQ- 721
EX- 692(from USAA, hasn't updated this month)

1 auto loan- 47 months of on time payments

4 credit cards- Total Utilization @ 1%
NFCU Cash Rewards- $5,000 cl
Capital One QS1- $2,000 cl
Wells Fargo Secured -$400
USAA Secured- $450

Now to my baddies
4 charge offs
Chase - $3100
Capital One - $450
Macy's- $230( closed in 2012 but still shows up on my credit reports) 
AMEX- $1300(PIF)

Now, what should I do next? I can definitely pay off Cap1 and Macy's, but the Chase CO is going to take me some saving to pay off. I want to get back in with AMEX, but should I first write a GW letter before I apply? Or should I pay my other debt first? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: New member here looking for some advice

First, get your actual FICO 08 scores from creditchecktotal.com (7 day trial for $1). The scores you gave are FAKOs, Vantage 3 scores which very few lenders use. I'd pay Macy's and Cap1 before applying for the Amex to make your reports look as best you can.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New member here looking for some advice

It is common, after taking a charge-off, for a creditor to either place the debt for collection or sell it.

Thus, a charge-off can lead to the addition of another major derog in the form of a collection, adding to your woes.

Addressing a charge-off before it gets worse might be a prudent first step.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.