cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member of this forum and should i apply for credit with fingerhut?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New member of this forum and should i apply for credit with fingerhut?

Hello guys, How are you? I am a new member of this forum and is really trying to rebuild my credit the best I canSmiley Happy Have already learned a lot from you guys since i started reading here a month ago.. Thank you!! You guys are right.. There is definitely life after bankruptcy.
I had a recent bankruptcy on my credit report that was just discharged last Jan 2016. I was thinking of applying for fingerhut credit card(thinking if this would boost my score since it would increase my overall CLI) but dont really planning on using it since there items are definitely overpriced!

Credit Karma Scores
Before bankruptcy was dicharged TU: 591 EQ:596
After bankruptcy was dicharged TU: 667 EQ:643
I also have 3 new credit cards and credit rebuild loan from DCU($1000) thats almost a month old
Capitalone Unsecured - $1000 CL (Capitalone have already upgraded this card to Quicksilver just yesterday) Lol I know that this is less than a month old but they already upgraded me. No AFSmiley Happy
Capitalone Secured - $1151 CL
Harley Davidson Secured - $500 CL
I also tried to apply with Discover IT Secured, DCU Secured and Barclays but they have denied me since i dont have any revolving accounts at the time that i applied

The Capitalone Unsecured and Harley Davidson Secured have already shown in my credit report(3% util) + all the inquiries that I did
The scores now are TU:675 EQ:653 (They havent reported the capitalone secured and credit rebuild loan yet on this report)
This is my story for the past 2 monthsSmiley Happy

so should i apply for FIngerhut credit card even if im not planning to use it? would there be a benefit even they dont report a payment? Let me know if im doing everything so fast.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New member of this forum and should i apply for credit with fingerhut?

Before trying for a Fingerhut account get your Fico 08 scores. CK uses Vantage 3 which very few lenders use and can be very off scorewise. It is good for keeping an eye on your reports though.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Before trying for a Fingerhut account get your Fico 08 scores. CK uses Vantage 3 which very few lenders use and can be very off scorewise. It is good for keeping an eye on your reports though.

@Anonymous to creditchecktotal.com they offer a $1-7day trial and when you go to cancel they will offer you a 1/2 price deal @ $15 monthly. Put it on 1 of your CC's and let it ride. These are true FICO scores and you will get a daily EX report update and monthly EQ & TU reports.

With the accts you already have I wouldn't get the Fingerhut unless you intend to buy through them. There are better accts that you would qualify for if you are just trying to pad your UTI or actually like an acct for one or more of the benefits.

PayPal Credit is an example. It is fairly easy to get and is what's called a "Hidden" acct meaning that it doesn't report at all so you can purchase something and make payments and it won't impact your scores at all. For those that like to keep everything clean and reporting $0 (except for 1 acct reporting <9%) this one allows you to float some money without it affecting this principle.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for the recommendation.

I just pulled my credit scores from CCT and is currently @ EX: 611 TU: 597 EQ:626

the scores seems to be more accurate(make sense) to me now compared when i pulled it from credit karma lol. before when i first pulled my scores from credit karma, i was thinking hmmm... the score seems to be high and didnt really seem that its accurate. But I am aware that there is different  credit scoring systems out there.

Is there any recommendation for me at this moment on how could i increase the score a little bit more? or just be patient for now?

Message 4 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you guys for the recommendation.

@I just pulled my credit scores from CCT and is currently @ EX: 611 TU: 597 EQ:626

the scores seems to be more accurate(make sense) to me now compared when i pulled it from credit karma lol. before when i first pulled my scores from credit karma, i was thinking hmmm... the score seems to be high and didnt really seem that its accurate. But I am aware that there is different  credit scoring systems out there.

Is there any recommendation for me at this moment on how could i increase the score a little bit more? or just be patient for now?

I'd be patient for a little while longer because you got a few cards already and now you need them to grow. In a few more months you're likely to see CLI's and so on. This will help raise your score as long as your keeping your utilization low on one card, and POF on the others when they report. Once the ball really gets rolling the doors for you will be opening in no time amd those scores will jump!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous to creditchecktotal.com they offer a $1-7day trial and when you go to cancel they will offer you a 1/2 price deal @ $15 monthly.

Hi skybuilder, I just started my trial. I wanted to see if I can get the $15/mo price, and was assuming it was a PopUp when you try to cancel, but there is no way to cancel on the website. It appears you have to call them to cancel. Would they offer me the half off deal then? 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they will offer it when you call to cancel. It was an automated system when I did it. The offer will be for anywhere from 1 to 5 years. It will show the full price when you look at the billing section but it only charges 15.98. Winds up being 17 and change after taxes for me
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet, thanks.

But you know, it doesn't show me all the info.  :/ 

I'm having a bad time finding a 3-Bureau monitoring program with Fico scores that also has full information.

For example, I want it to show my DOFD and the date the CRA has it scheduled to fall off. I've only seen that info on my annualcreditreport.com or one of the after-dispute reports directly from the CRA in the mail. On the fuller ones it also sometimes has a list of all the phone numbers ive used...  and the others don't.

It seems to be so inconsistent... sometimes it's a full one, sometimes not. The CCT website just have these cartoonish "tiles" for my accounts, with just status, amount, and payment history. Not enough info, even if I choose the printable report.  

Message 8 of 13
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sweet, thanks.

But you know, it doesn't show me all the info.  :/ 

I'm having a bad time finding a 3-Bureau monitoring program with Fico scores that also has full information.

For example, I want it to show my DOFD and the date the CRA has it scheduled to fall off. I've only seen that info on my annualcreditreport.com or one of the after-dispute reports directly from the CRA in the mail. On the fuller ones it also sometimes has a list of all the phone numbers ive used...  and the others don't.

It seems to be so inconsistent... sometimes it's a full one, sometimes not. The CCT website just have these cartoonish "tiles" for my accounts, with just status, amount, and payment history. Not enough info, even if I choose the printable report.  

Only reports obtained from annualcreditreport.com have all the information. 

Message 9 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

PayPal reports to Experian. Havnt checked TU or EQ.  Side note: Paypal decided to upgrade my Smart Connect account to MC. I also have Fingerhut. Right now CL

is $1250 no annual fee. The nice thing about Fingerhut ( and Gettington and Wards ) is that minimum monthly pmt starts at only $5.99/month.  Make a $40 purchse and then go to your online banking and schedule $8 / month.Enoy the CLI u will get.  Rinse and repeat

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.