Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member, simple question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New member, simple question

Hey everyone, I just joined this site and I am thrilled I did. I feel like its the best $20 I've ever spent! Obviously by looking at my scores I wasn't spending the money on bills so needed to buy something!! lol

Here are my numbers and they are rather terrible...

Equifax 469
TU 474
Experian 484

I have just a couple debts and just disputed several others that have been "charged off" to try to get them off of my report. I may be mistaken, but I think charged off means they are no longer trying to collect the debt? So why would it need to stay right? I have a ton of inquiries as well. I think 11 from last year alone.

I have been told by a coworker to just pay my debts and not get a secured card to try to build credit because a secured does nothing and paying off the debt is what will improve my score.

Is this fact?? Any advice? If you need to know more just ask and I'll answer.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: New member, simple question

Your coworker is absolutely incorrect.  While paying off bad debt is a good thing, it will not build a good positive credit profile.

It is not advised to dispute accurate information "just to get it off your report".  Charge offs can report for 7 years + 180 from DoFD.  Even though its charged off, they still have a right to report accurate information.

Definitely get a secured card.  More than one if possible.  Three would be ideal.  Have 2 of those report a zero balance each month and the 3rd card report less than 10% of the balance.

Start working on removing negative items the correct way.  If you can post what negatives you have on your report, we may be able to offer some guidance.  If you haven't already, order your 3 free reports from annualcreditreport.com.  These will be the most accurate, and a good place to start.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, I just joined this site and I am thrilled I did. I feel like its the best $20 I've ever spent! Obviously by looking at my scores I wasn't spending the money on bills so needed to buy something!! lol

Here are my numbers and they are rather terrible...

Equifax 469
TU 474
Experian 484

I have just a couple debts and just disputed several others that have been "charged off" to try to get them off of my report. I may be mistaken, but I think charged off means they are no longer trying to collect the debt? No, charged off is just an accounting requirement so they can move your account from the 'asset' collumn to the 'loss' collumn for tax purposes. It in no way obligates them to stop trying to collect the debt. In fact they can now either assign the debt to a debt collector or sell it off (usually for pennies on the dollar) to a Junk Debt Buyer. So why would it need to stay right? Ahh...if it were only that easy.... It will stay for 7.5 years from the Date of First Default (DoFD). I have a ton of inquiries as well. I think 11 from last year alone. Stop applying for credit, you're not going to get approved with your current scores.

I have been told by a coworker to just pay my debts and not get a secured card to try to build credit because a secured does nothing and paying off the debt is what will improve my score.

Is this fact??  No. He is flat out wrong on both counts. Any advice? Stop listening to your co-worker for starters. If you need to know more just ask and I'll answer.

Think of your score as a helium balloon. Derogatories, collections, charge offs, late payments, judgments, bankruptcy are all weights tied to the balloon, and the helium inside is your current credit accounts. Even if you have just a few derogatories, if you fail to inflate the balloon with current credit accounts your score will continue to drop.

You need some credit accounts. With your scores of course, they are going to be difficult to get, as you have discovered. The solution is to get a couple of secured credit cards, and a secured personal loan (installment loan) - not a huge loan, just a few hundred  will be enough. If you have any student loans in good standing, or an auto loan, that will suffice, you only need one installment loan. I would suggest a credit union like SDFCU to start with. They offer share secured loans and credit cards and they are really easy to join, just become a member of American Consumer Council ($5 to join) to qualify. Once you get the card, use it responsibly. Use it for 'every day' spending that you would normally use cash (or debit card) for and pay it down several times per month. After 6 months of usage like this you should start seeing a steady rise in your scores.

Message 3 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

"Think of your score as a helium balloon. Derogatories, collections, charge offs, late payments, judgments, bankruptcy are all weights tied to the balloon, and the helium inside is your current credit accounts. Even if you have just a few derogatories, if you fail to inflate the balloon with current credit accounts your score will continue to"

That is a simple and appropriate analogy. Great way to think about ones credit profile.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies. Definitely have been rather clueless when it comes to this stuff

Message 5 of 9
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

Charged Off means Original Creditor (OC) marked debt as total loss then "possibly" sold bad debt to Collection Agency for further "possible" attempts for payment. (worst case scenario) 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So since I made this post I had the intention of paying off some debts, but had to give the ex some dough as well as buy a different car because mine was on its way out. So I botched that plan, but I did however get two secured cards which will be here this upcoming week from what I am told by each company.

I got the US Bank secured with a $300 limit. I notice during their inquiry on MyFico that it says installment loan inquiry. What does this translate to as it's only a secured? I also got the Capital One secured with a $200 limit. Slowly but surely trying to make improvements.

Anymore advice on the use of these two cards thatll help my scores? I am all ears. Thanks my friends!

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So since I made this post I had the intention of paying off some debts, but had to give the ex some dough as well as buy a different car because mine was on its way out. So I botched that plan, but I did however get two secured cards which will be here this upcoming week from what I am told by each company.

I got the US Bank secured with a $300 limit. I notice during their inquiry on MyFico that it says installment loan inquiry. What does this translate to as it's only a secured? I also got the Capital One secured with a $200 limit. Slowly but surely trying to make improvements.

Anymore advice on the use of these two cards thatll help my scores? I am all ears. Thanks my friends!

Dont worry about what the inquiry says if its actually a secured credit card you apped for it will be reported as revolving like it should be. Grats to getting started Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use them in place of your debit card, and just pay them down as soon as the charges post. Cap allows you to do online payments as often as you want (i think), and you can even schedule payments in advance up to three months out.

Make sure they are paid down when the statement cycle ends each month, you can leave a small balance on one but its not critical at this point, the main thing is to get 6-12 months of perfect payment history under your belt, then see where your scores are.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.