Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit Rebuilding, Oodles of Questions

tag
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

New to Credit Rebuilding, Oodles of Questions

I'm been reading on the forum for a week or so and think I know where to begin my journey but I would like confirmation I am going about it the best way. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate the assistance.

I'm 24, have around 12-15 seriously past due collections, majority are medical. I do live in Texas now, seems like I saw something about Texas being different in collections, maybe not. Please verify.

I have my report from EX, should I purchase all reports before I begin? Or does it matter?

Only one is over $600 and most are older(2007-2010) but are showing the last updated date to be fairly recent?? Why is this? Does this happen when a new CA takes over?

Also, I have one that "seems" to have duplicated. I show a collection of $93, account #70591xxxx, last updated 6/1/2009.

And then another for $92, account #705R91xxxx, last updated 3/1/2012. The OC's are different but when i look up the $92 OC, it's owned by the OC from the $93 collection! Hmm.

I have a Security Bankcard card showing charge-off with balance of $294, but it gives no contact info. Anyone know where to contact them so I can get this rectified?

I'm planning on sending out PFDs to all, is this the best way to go? What is a DV? Do I send Certified Mail with Receipt or is regular mail okay? I am now a student and have little cash to work with but I hope to have almost all collections removed or settled by the end of the year.

2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to Credit Rebuilding, Oodles of Questions

Just looked at DV, I understand what it means. Just not sure if that's a logical first step. There are only 2 collections I do not remember.

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Message 2 of 17
liesierre
Regular Contributor

have you figured out the date of first delinquency on all of those? thats the date the drop-off goes by, not the last update.

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 3 of 17
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

It's not showing on these reports... I'm currently using freecreditreport.com

Message 4 of 17
liesierre
Regular Contributor

also, to get started...

the first place you should go is https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

pull all 3 credit reports (for free), thats where you'll get the names/addresses/account numbers of all the CA's, etc.

the Transunion report specifically gives the month and date things are scheduled to drop off...

what i did was pull all 3 and copy/paste them all into notepads for easy reference of what was on each.

Also, you should know the statute of limitations for your state... 

for the ones you don't remember, you should probably send a DV or maybe dispute them on the credit report?  I've never sent a DV myself, but that will make them validate the debt and prove that it belongs to you.

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 5 of 17
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Every time I try to get those reports, for TU and EQ it says they can't produce them online. I guess I'll just pay to see them. I should still be within the SOL for most. The debts were accrued in AR, which I think is 5, but I now live in Texas and I believe it is 4.

Message 6 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@liesierre wrote:

also, to get started...

the first place you should go is https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

pull all 3 credit reports (for free), thats where you'll get the names/addresses/account numbers of all the CA's, etc.

the Transunion report specifically gives the month and date things are scheduled to drop off...

what i did was pull all 3 and copy/paste them all into notepads for easy reference of what was on each.

Also, you should know the statute of limitations for your state... 

for the ones you don't remember, you should probably send a DV or maybe dispute them on the credit report?  I've never sent a DV myself, but that will make them validate the debt and prove that it belongs to you.

Not exactly.  A DV, when timely, compels a cease collection. All they have to provide is who is collecting, and the amount of the debt.  If you ask specifically who the OC is and their address is, they need to provide that.  They do not need to prove the debt belongs to you.  They cannot continue collection activity until they validate.

Message 7 of 17
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Then they have to remove the item if they can not provide that item?

So it's probably easier just to PFD? I don't doubt that they are mine, just don't specifically remember them. I attempted to get my reports from annualcreditreport, all three requested I prove my identity by mail, so I guess my progress will be on stand-by for a few weeks.

Message 8 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Henchman21 wrote:

Then they have to remove the item if they can not provide that item?

So it's probably easier just to PFD? I don't doubt that they are mine, just don't specifically remember them. I attempted to get my reports from annualcreditreport, all three requested I prove my identity by mail, so I guess my progress will be on stand-by for a few weeks.

No, they don't have to delete, they just cannot update until they validate.  If they continue to update once you send a DV, they are in violation of the FDCPA.

Message 9 of 17
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Okay, while I'm waiting on reports to verify SOL dates, should I GW accounts that are paid, closed, but had past due dates? EX: GECRB/Dillards. What about charge-offs?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.