Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Rebuilding Credit

tag
jamie2005
Valued Member

New to Rebuilding Credit

Fico EQ: 578  Fico TU: 592

I have been reading the boards and after reading success stories, I am eager to begin my journey (smile). I'm just not sure where to start. I will list what's on report, and hopefully someone can give me some suggestions. 

I have an account with Midland Credit MGMT which is for Verizon Wireless. I know it's mine. I'm going to pay it. I sent a certified PFD letter but havent heard anything back from them. They last reported 2/2012 to CRA.

I also have another account (supposedly) with Midland and they are on my report as a judgement. Amount for $2234. I have no idea what this is for. The file date is 7/2008. I sent them a DV letter, but have yet to hear from them

Tax Lien on account. FIled and paid in 2008.

I have two bank accounts (SC Bank n Trust, Wachovia) overdrawn. I sent PFD. They both responded. I am going to make those payments within a week. Dont know how long it will take for deletion. In letter, I stated within 10 days of receiving payment (something I saw on here).

I have an open account with Quick Credit hoping to build credit. Had a reent missed payment 6 months ago. I know that's hurt me. I've been on time since. Back in 2007 and 2009, i've had some 60 and 90 days past due. 

Kay Jewelers for $277. Scheduled to leave off 3/2013. I can pay this low amount. It's the oldest thing that I have on my account so I sort of wanted it to stay there to make it look like I have longer credit history. What should I do?

For what's helping my credit? I got a new auto loan 6 months ago. I havent been late on a payment yet and don't plan to be. The auto loan is for 36 months but I'm hoping I can have my credit better before then. Thanks in advance for you guys' responses. I'm sorry this is long

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: New to Rebuilding Credit

@jamie2005 wrote:

Fico EQ: 578  Fico TU: 592

I have been reading the boards and after reading success stories, I am eager to begin my journey (smile). I'm just not sure where to start. I will list what's on report, and hopefully someone can give me some suggestions. 

I have an account with Midland Credit MGMT which is for Verizon Wireless. I know it's mine. I'm going to pay it. I sent a certified PFD letter but havent heard anything back from them. They last reported 2/2012 to CRA.

I also have another account (supposedly) with Midland and they are on my report as a judgement. Amount for $2234. I have no idea what this is for. The file date is 7/2008. I sent them a DV letter, but have yet to hear from them

Tax Lien on account. FIled and paid in 2008.

I have two bank accounts (SC Bank n Trust, Wachovia) overdrawn. I sent PFD. They both responded. I am going to make those payments within a week. Dont know how long it will take for deletion. In letter, I stated within 10 days of receiving payment (something I saw on here).

I have an open account with Quick Credit hoping to build credit. Had a reent missed payment 6 months ago. I know that's hurt me. I've been on time since. Back in 2007 and 2009, i've had some 60 and 90 days past due. 

Kay Jewelers for $277. Scheduled to leave off 3/2013. I can pay this low amount. It's the oldest thing that I have on my account so I sort of wanted it to stay there to make it look like I have longer credit history. What should I do?

For what's helping my credit? I got a new auto loan 6 months ago. I havent been late on a payment yet and don't plan to be. The auto loan is for 36 months but I'm hoping I can have my credit better before then. Thanks in advance for you guys' responses. I'm sorry this is long

I would ALSO shoot a PFD to Kay. The worst that could happen, is they say no. Worth a try.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The item that I would jump on is the Midland collection where you also have a reported judgment.  There should be no reason for you not to be aware of a civil judgment against you.  You should have been served notice of trial, and if you did not attend, notice of the verdict and findings.

That is a major derog that is going to take some work to investigate.  I would begin by contacting the clerk of the court, and finding out what happened and why you werent made aware of any of the proceedings.

Message 3 of 7
jamie2005
Valued Member

For Kay's Jewelers, you don't think I should try to keep that on to give me a longer credit history. I was hoping I could reopen in some way

Message 4 of 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I think you would be better off having it removed and restarting hx w/ another company, such as Amex or the like

Message 5 of 7
jamie2005
Valued Member

Ok. Thanks!!!
Message 6 of 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Essentially, there is more to gain by it being removed and you starting new hx, than it remaining there, and you TRY to start better history.

Again, just my 2 cents. YMMV, other may not agree.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.