Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to myFico and to rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to myFico and to rebuilding

It's nice to hear that you're rebuilding your credit.

I see no one wants to tell you that Credit One is absolutely garbage. I know you don't want to hear that since you've just applied but they are. Their absolutely garbage.

What you want is a secured card that can graduate into a unsecured card. This way you never have to cancel the card later when your credit becomes better and you qualify for better cards. I would suggest Bank of America's secure card.

Now if you don't get approved then you can apply for Capital One's secured MasterCard. It has NO annual fee now but don't listen to anyone this card cannot graduate to unsecured.

Since you've said that you've already got some unsecured cards then there's no need for the secured cards I just thought I would tell you about them. The cards that you have right now is actually good enough for rebuilding your credit. I wouldn't apply for anymore at this time & I would cancel that Credit One card because honestly you're going to cancel it anyway because one the credit limit isn't really going to help your credit utilization and two because the fees they are going to hit you with will make you spit. As well when your credit becomes back good you will notice that credit one bank is a bad credit bank only and you're not going to want to associate yourself with them pride wise.

Lower your utilization, see if you can become a authorized user on someone's credit card & look into removing those hospital baddies off your credit report. I think you're on the right track but if you have bad credit there's only bank you should be focusing on and that's Capital One. Capital One has one maybe two max unsecured cards that help you rebuild. You already have two Cap1s so you're already on the right track. keep up the good work.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks to everyone for the warning about Credit One. I won't press the application with them. I think I have enough to start rebuilding. I will work on removing the few collections I have left and also lowering my utilization on my credit cards. I'm so excited that I found this forum. I feel like I have the support I need. Thank you to everyone that has responded thus far. I look forward to interacting with you more and more!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's nice to hear that you're rebuilding your credit.

I see no one wants to tell you that Credit One is absolutely garbage. I know you don't want to hear that since you've just applied but they are. Their absolutely garbage.

What you want is a secured card that can graduate into a unsecured card. This way you never have to cancel the card later when your credit becomes better and you qualify for better cards. I would suggest Bank of America's secure card.

Now if you don't get approved then you can apply for Capital One's secured MasterCard. It has NO annual fee now but don't listen to anyone this card cannot graduate to unsecured.

Since you've said that you've already got some unsecured cards then there's no need for the secured cards I just thought I would tell you about them. The cards that you have right now is actually good enough for rebuilding your credit. I wouldn't apply for anymore at this time & I would cancel that Credit One card because honestly you're going to cancel it anyway because one the credit limit isn't really going to help your credit utilization and two because the fees they are going to hit you with will make you spit. As well when your credit becomes back good you will notice that credit one bank is a bad credit bank only and you're not going to want to associate yourself with them pride wise.

Lower your utilization, see if you can become a authorized user on someone's credit card & look into removing those hospital baddies off your credit report. I think you're on the right track but if you have bad credit there's only bank you should be focusing on and that's Capital One. Capital One has one maybe two max unsecured cards that help you rebuild. You already have two Cap1s so you're already on the right track. keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for saying this outright. We all implied it but maybe we should've bluntly put it out there. I don't have a credit one card and thanks to this forum I won't be getting one. I can't believe all the fees they charge!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You welcome, I don't know why members don't shoot straight answers to questions. It gets annoying reading multiple responses to a question but not one solid answer.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sherman Capital, alias LVNV, and a few other well known notorious names. They are, in essence, the "enemy".
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.