cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Amex Optima -- Can I get added as an AU to another Amex?

tag
750Hopeful
New Contributor

New to the Amex Optima -- Can I get added as an AU to another Amex?

Just paid off a CO Amex account in full and got welcomed back to the Amex family with an Optima card 4 months ago. A family member has an Amex Platinum card that he's willing to add me as an AU to (to help increase my AAoA since it's a 20 year old account). But I heard that you can't apply for any Amex cards for at least the first year that you have the Optima (sort of a probational period). Would it be looked at any differently for an AU? Since I'm not applying for the card on my own and would be requesting to be added to a current long-standing Amex account, do you think I would get approved for that?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Relique
New Contributor

Re: New to the Amex Optima -- Can I get added as an AU to another Amex?

A friend of mine has the same Optima card and had no trouble being added as an AU on his uncle's account.

Message 2 of 14
750Hopeful
New Contributor

But do you know how long he had the Optima card for before he got added as an AU on his uncle's Amex? 

Message 3 of 14
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

It will work fine.  An AU is just that.... A user.....  The owner of the actual account is responsible for everything.  The AU just uses the card at will.  An AU can be added to almost any CC/CC

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
750Hopeful
New Contributor

Are you sure? The only reason I'm concerned is because before I paid the CO Amex accounts and got the Optima card, my family member tried to add me as an AU to his Amex and it was declined then. Now that I've paid the CO Amex accounts and got the Optima, should I try again?

Message 5 of 14
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

You can't be declined to be an AU.  They don't ask for SSN, or an address.  Just a name to put on the AU card.

Message 6 of 14
750Hopeful
New Contributor

They asked for both a SSN AND an address. Perhaps he was trying to add me as a joint account holder.

I was under the impression that if they don't take your SSN, there's no way they can report to your credit and for it to improve your score.

Message 7 of 14
Relique
New Contributor

He was able to be added as an AU 3-4 months after getting the optima. It's been 6 months since then and no issues.

Message 8 of 14
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@750Hopeful wrote:

They asked for both a SSN AND an address. Perhaps he was trying to add me as a joint account holder.

I was under the impression that if they don't take your SSN, there's no way they can report to your credit and for it to improve your score.

They don't need a SSN to add an AU.  Just an address.  All they need is a name and address.  Their system looks at the address and somehow matches it up.  I am an AU on my G/F's Chase and Discover card.  Neither one asked her for my SSN.  Just name as stated, and address.  I live 25 miles from her. 

Message 9 of 14
750Hopeful
New Contributor

Do your GF's cards show up on your credit report?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.