cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Board.. Looking for some advice.

tag
SR23

New to the Board.. Looking for some advice.

Hello all,

As stated in the thread title, I'm new to the board and have learned quite a bit just from reading through some of the posts here. I was wondering if some of you might have some suggestions for me in regards to a couple of different situations..

The first situation may be a bit unique to most of you: I have a GECRB/Paypal charge off on my CR's showing a 0 balance since it was sold to a CA. I contacted the CA about 2 months ago to actually try to PFD. To my surprise, they begin telling me that I made payments on the account and had called to schedule payment arrangements etc. None of this ever happened. Next they start to verify my information.. Name, address, phone # etc. All of the info they had for the account number was wrong. I mentioned it was possible that someone opened an account fraudulently with my SS#, and they said they would send some type of Fraud Investigation Packet. Fast forward to about two weeks later, and I receive a letter in the mail stating they conducted an investigation, and are closing my account, and will request to have the TL removed from my CR's. Within 30 days, the TL was gone from all CR's as promised. My question is this: Seeing as the OC is still reporting the CO on my reports, how should I go about trying to get this removed? Is it possible they also have the wrong information with my account number, or most likely just a CA screw-up? Any insight on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I have a credit card CO with First Premier that is still showing a balance. I believe it is scheduled to fall off sometime in 2014. I am wondering if I should pay it or just leave it alone and wait for it to fall off. The balance is showing as $471, with a limit of $300, so I worry about my utilization. However, I also worry about having it on my report for another 7 years (if I'm understanding correctly that making a payment will start the clock again). Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New to the Board.. Looking for some advice.

If you did not authorize the OC account, then file a police report asserting that the account is most likely the result of unauthorized use of your identity.

Send a copy of that police report to the OC, and request, under the provisions of FCRA 609(e), a copy of all their business records pertaining to that account.

Absent filing a police report, you cant demand internal records from the OC.

With those records in hand, you will then have the ability to dispute the account based on factual evidence.  As it now stands, they will verify based on their assumption of accuracy of their own records.

Message 2 of 3
SR23

Re: New to the Board.. Looking for some advice.

Hi Robert, and thanks for the response! I may have not made it clear in my post, but the account is actually mine. I just got a bit lucky with the CA due to their possible shoddy record-keeping I guess. I'm thinking it may not be a good idea to file the police report under those circumstances, so any other advice you may have would be great. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.