Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the mix

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the mix

Hey, everyone!

After months of searching myFICO and using Credit Karma, I finally decided to pony up and sign up for myFICO to get the real scores and to have access to my credit reports, other than the one time per year thing. 

I've had some seriously bad mistakes in the past that have made things rather complicated moving forward. I decided it would be cute at 18 to sign up for an American Express (somehow, without any prior credit, I qualified for a 2500 limit and was able to max it out traveling all over the world during my first semesters of college). Then I got a CapOne that was at $500 and proceeded to max it out. I didn't pay on them, ever and finally paid both of them off last year since I decided as an adult, I need to get my crap together. 

Then comes the ridiculousness that followed me around from previous relationships. I have a $7,000+ CA from an apartment lease that an ex and I shared. It bit me hard. The management company that commissioned the collection doesn't even exist anymore and beyond that, there's no way I can tackle that debt. It's just a mountain of ridiculousness because they stuck it to me as hard as they could. 

After that, I've had medical bills pile up to the moon because of Crohn's disease. There's a couple of those baddies on my report, too, but I've recently started working with those companies to try and figure out what to do as one didn't even contact my insurance company and the other was messed up due to billing errors. 

I'm frustrated with the whole process, but I've been using techniques that are on these boards to deal with it. I don't want to pay a debt management company because I think that's ridiculous. 

My partner has excellent credit and has since added me as an AU on an AMEX Everyday, a Chase Freedom, a Chase Flexible Rewards, a US Bank Kroger Card, a BarclayCard (Apple Financing), a Citi ThankYou Preferred, and a Chase Amazon Card. All of which have helped boost me out of oblivion for the last few months. The AMEX and the Citi have high utilization,~54%, which is causing some issues at the moment, but all in all, it's not too bad. 

We also have a KIA Financing loan together which has helped bolster things and get me out of the subprime loan market, which was killer in interest. 

I don't know what other steps to take to take down debt, so any suggestions would be helpful! Smiley Happy I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for all of the valuable information that you guys have provided to help me take control. When I first started looking at things to control the credit problem, I was at a 413. Now I'm at 566 and climbing.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.