cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the scene

tag
Lsp

New to the scene

I have been trying to start the process of repair.  I have a couple of cell phone providers that have recently put collections on my credit report for old debts.  I have already paid these debts in full but don't have the proof to show.  Some of these debts were paid to the actual company and not the collection agency.  They are still charging me for bills I have already paid.  There is a finance company that I paid in full years ago and it is showing unpaid.  The company is no longer in business.  Where should I start?  Should I start with DV letters?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: New to the scene

How did you pay?  If you used anything other than cash, there should be a papertrail with somebody.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 9
Lsp

It was done through money orders.  I don't have any of the copies of them and I have moved a couple of time since then.  Since I know I have paid, would it be best for me to just have them validate the debt? 

Message 3 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

How old are the debts?

Message 4 of 9
Lsp

The debts are very old, some are from 2005-2007.  

Message 5 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

What state did the debts orginate in?  you might have SOL on your side, and may be better off just letting them be.

Message 6 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

SOL can be used in the state where the debt occur in.

But most of the time, Creditor will use the SOL of the state you currently live in.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 7 of 9
Lsp

All of the debt occurred in the state of Louisiana.  There was a collection for Sprint on my transunion account since 2010, they just added to my EQ report and I took a hard hit.  I am trying to get some of the negative stuff off so that I can increase my score.

Message 8 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Hi Lsp,

Start with pulling your Free CR's from (ACR) annualcreditreport.com. they tend to have more info on them, then ones from a 3rd party.The CR's from (ACR), come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 CR from TU,EQ and EX every 12 months.

Important dates to know, DoFD's and the SOL of your state.

Check out the stickys at the top of the board.The blue taps top of the page, Education & Financial Help Center are very helpful too.

To start with understand how FICO score are calulated.... The Son Of Credit Scoring 101.

Another helpful one is.....What Steps Do I Take?Do I DV?PFD?

I know there's alot of reading. And if you have questions, feel free to post them.

Good Luck to youSmiley Wink You can do this.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.