Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this and need help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to this and need help!

Hello, I'm new to trying to fix my credit report and need some guidance. I graduated college around a year ago and now have a stable job. I want to get a home loan. I'm young so my credit history isn't that long. I have student loans through Chase. Technically these are 3 different accounts, but I pay one payment. I was 90 days late on this payment about 2 years ago, so now I have 3 lates on my credit reports because of it. I want to send goodwill letters to Chase and try to get a couple or even all 3 of these lates deleted. Can someone tell me who to send these to? (e-mail and usps addresses would be helpful) What should my letters contain, and has anyone else had success with something similar? Now, on to the next issue with my credit report. I had a checking account with Suntrust Bank about 2 years ago. I closed this account and moved. I got money back from this checking account when I closed it. Months later they contacted me about an outstanding balance of $130. I believe this is inaccurate. They have now placed the account with a collections agency. I offered to pay for deletion just to get it off my report, but the agency declined. What should I do next? I really need to get some of this resolved, so I can purchase a home. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to this and need help!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm new to trying to fix my credit report and need some guidance. I graduated college around a year ago and now have a stable job. I want to get a home loan. I'm young so my credit history isn't that long. I have student loans through Chase. Technically these are 3 different accounts, but I pay one payment. I was 90 days late on this payment about 2 years ago, so now I have 3 lates on my credit reports because of it. I want to send goodwill letters to Chase and try to get a couple or even all 3 of these lates deleted. Can someone tell me who to send these to? (e-mail and usps addresses would be helpful) What should my letters contain, and has anyone else had success with something similar? Now, on to the next issue with my credit report. I had a checking account with Suntrust Bank about 2 years ago. I closed this account and moved. I got money back from this checking account when I closed it. Months later they contacted me about an outstanding balance of $130. I believe this is inaccurate. They have now placed the account with a collections agency. I offered to pay for deletion just to get it off my report, but the agency declined. What should I do next? I really need to get some of this resolved, so I can purchase a home. Any help would be appreciated.

• There are plenty of sample GW (Good Will) letters on this site.  Just do a search for them.  Tweak them to fit your situation.  Just remember you may have to send a few of them out before they do anything- just keep trying.  =)
  • Again, do another search on here- I'm sure someone has posted the address for CHASE letters to be sent.  Otherwise, you can always send them to the address listed on your monthly statements.
  • If you don't owe the money on the account- don't do a PFD.  You would need to do a DV letter- where they have to verify the account.  There is a good write up with what the letter should contain and what you should consider a full validation of the account.  I believe it's in a sticky at the top of the Rebuilding your credit forum

Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm new to trying to fix my credit report and need some guidance. I graduated college around a year ago and now have a stable job. I want to get a home loan. I'm young so my credit history isn't that long. I have student loans through Chase. Technically these are 3 different accounts, but I pay one payment. I was 90 days late on this payment about 2 years ago, so now I have 3 lates on my credit reports because of it.

I want to send goodwill letters to Chase and try to get a couple or even all 3 of these lates deleted. Can someone tell me who to send these to? (e-mail and usps addresses would be helpful) What should my letters contain, and has anyone else had success with something similar?

Now, on to the next issue with my credit report. I had a checking account with Suntrust Bank about 2 years ago. I closed this account and moved. I got money back from this checking account when I closed it. Months later they contacted me about an outstanding balance of $130. I believe this is inaccurate. They have now placed the account with a collections agency. I offered to pay for deletion just to get it off my report, but the agency declined. What should I do next? I really need to get some of this resolved, so I can purchase a home. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's an example of a  G W letter ,if  you haven't seen it already. IMO, GW letter should be short and sweet, because who likes to read very long letters at work,when time is money. Just say, you were irresponsible with credit when you were younger, and now you have a better understanding of credit and may need their business in the future. The forums here a filled with success stories with GW letters.

As far as the balance with the bank, maybe this is what happened.... A check was still out when you closed the account with the bank. Contact the bank, ask how they came up with this balance.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not paid the bank balance yet. Is there any other approaches I can take to get it deleted?

Message 4 of 6
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

I would send a DV letter for the bank one.   Here are some sample DV letters in this thread http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/No-DV-reponse-anyone-have-a-sample-letter/m-p/...

Message 5 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

You can do what's called a PFD (pay for delete) letter. It is where you agree to pay and they agree to delete.

You would get this in writing first, before paying.

I believe you will find, what you need in What Steps Do I Take?Do I DV?PFD? Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.