Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie HELP!! Rebuilding No CC or revolving

tag
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newbie HELP!! Rebuilding No CC or revolving

I started my rebuild with an OpenSky Secured. Yes, it's a crappy card- $35 annual fee, it won't grow, it will never transition to unsecured. The upside is that if you can fund the deposit, you get the card and no hard pull. I had to go this route because I was getting denied for secured cards through more reputable vendors.

I've read a few horror stories here about the card and the company, but I haven't had any issues. Deposit went in, I got the card after about 2 weeks, and it's been working for me ever since. I got it with a FICO under 500 and now I have scores in the 650 range after 11 months along with a Cap One and Discover (both unsecured, no fees).

The only negative things I have to say about them is the bad website (but it works), and no ApplePay support. I've never had any issue paying online, never had a payment rejected, the only issue I've ever had with payment is making multiple payments within a certain time frame because I use it, I pay it off before the statement cuts.

If you can't get anything better secured, OpenSky is the creditor of last resort. Not great, but I used it to make a terrible situation a lot better.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

BUMP...

Any other suggestions should I App Spree???  And if so with whom???

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Credit one (even though there are some fees) and capital one were my first two cards then I did the shopping cart trick for PayPal, vs, Os, and HSN. I started around 590, then I got a jump after they started reporting for about 3 months ( I don't remember the score though) I think around 610ish? Not a Lori know but enough for other approvals.

Capital one QS $3000, Discover $2500, Barclay $1300, Credit one $500, Sony $500, Indigo $300, buypowercard $300, Applied bank secured $300, Walmart $500, Kohl's $500, HSN $1000 (shopping cart trick), Victoria secret (SCT) $300, Overstock.com $250 (SCT), Paypal credit $900
I think these are good considering I had filled chapter 13 in Nov 2011.
FICO March 28 2017 TU 659, EQ 641, EX 645
New CLs walmart $1000, HSN $1200, buypowercard $500, VS $450, Overstock $450, Mobile infirmary credit union $500, Belk $400, old navy (soft pull) $300, BOA (secured) $500, credit builder loan (alabama credit union) $500

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fun2 wrote:

BUMP...

Any other suggestions should I App Spree???  And if so with whom???

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently came out of a Chapt7 discharge this month and managed to score three cards so far with only one hard pull, to work at building my credit back up. As you can guess with recent discharge my scores arent all that pretty. Below is a little background on my recent application history to give a feel for whats out there

I first went to the Cap1 pre-qualify site about a week after Discharge and it offered me the Platinum unsecured card and Quicksliver as options. I opted for the Platinum this time and applied and received a 3,000 limit out the door! This one was a hard pull.  *I did not burn Cap1 in Bankruptcy but read of many who have and still get approved not longer after

I then learned of the shopping cart trick for Comenity cards and gave it a whirl. I headed over to the Overstock site and I added about $2200 worth of stuff to my cart and made sure my address was entered same as on credit report and proceeded thru checkout.  Before the end I got the Congrats you pre-qualify message so I did that and received a $2000 limit! This was a soft pull since via the SCT method

I decided I wanted to add one more so visited the JCrew site to try the SCT method again and added approx. $600 to my cart and again made sure my address matched and proceeded thru checkout and up came another Congrats pre-qualify message! Applied and received a $500 limit. This was a soft pull since via the SCT method.

Everyone’s case is different of course but wanted to share what worked for me right out of a Chapter 7. Best of luck on whatever you decide!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did SCT for Overstock and got $500 CL! 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.