Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Medical SOL Question

tag
xecutech
Contributor

Newbie Medical SOL Question

Hello, been lurking the forums and learning a lot. I do have a medical collection question that I think SOL should have expired by now.

From a search on here, people say the SOL for TN is 6 years. I have a medical collection showing on TU & EQ that shows the opening date of 11/28/2006 on one and 11/1/2006 on the other.

If in fact the SOL is 6 years, do I contact the CRA to have these removed, or the CA? I wanted to call them, but didn't want to get them stirred up yet.

I believe the CA is Professional Adjustment Service.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie Medical SOL Question

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Don't confuse SOL with CRTP. SOL is the time frame a creditor has to sue you for an unpaid debt and is based on state law. I do recall 6 yrs for TN. I also know that SOL varies across the country ranging anywhere from 3 to 15 yrs.

CRTP is the time frame  an account can report on your CR. Unlike SOL, CRTP is set by federal law and  that is set in stone for 7-7.5 yrs for most baddies. So, even if SOL expired, the account can still report in your example.

The clock starts ticking for both SOL and CRTP via the DOFD of the debt. The DOFD for a medical bill is when you visited that doc or hospital or whatever it was. That's when the bill was due and the clock starts then. Nothing can reset the CRTP clock, not even a payment. The SOL clock can restart in some states in some situations.

Definitely look for your medical records and see when that was. It can report for 7 yrs beyond that date. You can also pull your CRs directly from the CRAs or annualcreditreport.com. Your TU and EX reports will show a drop off date. EQ will list the DOFD.

Message 2 of 3
xecutech
Contributor

Re: Newbie Medical SOL Question

Thank you for the info. I will check for that date.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.