Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - Need help what to do for collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie - Need help what to do for collection

Hi,

I am unsure of what to do and was searching online when I came across myFICO.  Just seeing if anyone have any suggestions or anything?  Here is the situation:

Summer 2006 when I turned 18 I enrolled for James Madison online high school diploma course.  I paid the initial fee when I enrolled online.  End up not taking the course, never paid anything else, did not receive anything from the school in regards to textbooks or anything else that I can recall.  This was when I was living at my mom's house.  I moved out shortly afterwards. 

Couple years ago when I was home I got some of my mail and there was one there from a collection agency about outstanding bill to James Madison.  I contacted the agency that I did not end up attending school with James Madison - account should have been cancelled.  Never received anything from them - no communication.  After this first contact with the collection did not receive or hear anything else. 

Just last summer when at my mom's I received another collection notice from them.  Again I called and said same thing.  I can't recall what the collection rep said.  My own fault I didn't think to much of it till today when I checked my credit report and saw that it was reported on there last Sept 2011. 

So my question is how do I go about disputing this?  This bill they are referring to is over 5 1/2 yrs old as of now, they just filled with credit agencies last Sept. 2011.  I don't have any proof of anything.  Feel pretty screwed over at this point.  So much for hoping to buy a home in a few years.  Please help if you can.  Bill is for $1500.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie - Need help what to do for collection

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

The lack of communication would likely be due to moving, especially since they are contacting your family. 

If I had that, and if I wanted more info, I'd review the agreement between the school and yourself to see what was agreed to. You can also contact them directly and they can provide it for you. In addition, I would mail a DV letter to this CA (I'd use the address listed on your CR). If they verify and you have enough info to where you agree, then mail the CA a PFD letter. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete.

Maybe the initial fee is part of an installment to a much bigger payment or balance. Review that agreement to see if there was a step not taken in cancelling or maybe the class was cancelled too late.

Per baddies reporting, they can only report for 7-7.5 years max from the DOFD of the debt which would have been in 2006.. By the time you'll buy a home it'll be gone regarless of what you choose to do.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.