Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question - The Garden???

tag
keyelove
New Contributor

Newbie Question - The Garden???

Hello All,

I'm really trying to get my feet wet on this board. Learning all the terminology can be a challenge sometimes. I want to be able to participate in some of the discussions but I get leary as I'm not sure I understand everything that's being discussed ;-)

At any rate - I was wondering what "the garden" is. I see it being referenced several times and wondered what it meant.

BTW - I've made so much progress over the last two weeks that I've been reading the boards. You guys are awesome!!!! Once I get a good footing on things, I want to start posting my experiences in an attempt to help others as I've been helped.

Thanks!!!!!

Starting Score Early 2013: TU - 556 & EF - 552 & EXP - 591
Current Score 10/09/14 (MyFico): TU - 666 & EF - 665 & EXP- 711
Goal Score: 730 Across all 3 bureaus
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Newbie Question - The Garden???

Gardening is letting the TLs you have age while not applying for anything else.

Message 2 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

And every month moderator tinuviel starts a new thread for the "gardeners" -- we who are not applying for any new credit.

We can put a seedling (like mine) in our signatures when we first enter the garden. Then after a month, we start earning different colors of spades, depending on how long we've been "in the garden." The whole idea is to let accounts age and scores rise to put ourselves in better position later to apply for mortgages, auto loans, or cards we really want. In the garden thread we share our progress, and sometimes our regress.

As often as not, the garden thread turns into a big garden party, where people who are gardening their accounts joke, post pictures of garden party food and drinks (thanks, myjourney and others), and support each other when we get the itch to apply for something new.

And there are pictures of calamine lotion to help with the itching.

Welcome to the forums!

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

And every month moderator tinuviel starts a new thread for the "gardeners" -- we who are not applying for any new credit.

We can put a seedling (like mine) in our signatures when we first enter the garden. Then after a month, we start earning different colors of spades, depending on how long we've been "in the garden." The whole idea is to let accounts age and scores rise to put ourselves in better position later to apply for mortgages, auto loans, or cards we really want.

As often as not, the garden thread turns into a big garden party, where people who are gardening their accounts joke, post pictures of garden party food and drinks, and support each other when we get the itch to apply for something new.

And there are pictures of calamine lotion to help with the itching.

Welcome to the forums!

I always wondered about that but was afraid to ask lol.

Message 4 of 7
keyelove
New Contributor

Thanks so much for the explanation. I'm in the process of trying to get pre-approved for a mortgage so I won't be gardening at the moment. However, after that process I'm be joining the gardening party as I won't need anything else after that!!

This is so exciting to have community support while you go through such a stressful process of correcting your past transgressions!!!

Starting Score Early 2013: TU - 556 & EF - 552 & EXP - 591
Current Score 10/09/14 (MyFico): TU - 666 & EF - 665 & EXP- 711
Goal Score: 730 Across all 3 bureaus
Message 5 of 7
chicharitta
Established Member

How do I get my seedling? As of today Im in the garden!

4-1-13 My FICO 633
Joined the Garden Club 04-08-13
Message 6 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@chicharitta wrote:

How do I get my seedling? As of today Im in the garden!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Garden-Club-Meeting-April-2013/m-p/2014231

Just go to the first post in this month's gardening thread, grab the seedling code and follow the instructions for putting it into your signature.

See you in the garden!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.