Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question With Midland

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Question With Midland

First I'd like to say that this forum is great and has a great deal of info that I have picked up in a few weeks. I have a question regarding a few collection accounts that I have, which include Midland. Apparently credit was too easy for a college grad then, a painful lesson.

I had a few cards opened a long time ago that went delinquent and were turned over to CA. These were opened circa 2006. It was sold off by Chase in Aug. 2009 and Midland in March 2011. I am now am more financially stable and am looking to buy a house, but have to take care of these things. 

Below I posted what Midland is reporting on my Experian report. Does this look valid? They are reporting a payment history as well as it being late. I have not spoken directly with them ever. Is this anything to work on, or would you just suggest trying to negotiate with them? 

Account Number 
853919XXXX 
Account Type 
Collection 
Terms 
1 Month 
Date Opened 
03/01/2011 
Account Status 
Closed 
Payment Status 
Late 
Payment Status Details 
Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department 
Status Updated 
05/01/2011 
Balance 
$4,769.00 
Balance Updated 
Credit Limit 
Past Due Amount 
$4,769.00 
High Balance 
Monthly Payment 

Company Sold-to 
Original Amount 
$3,969.00 
Comments 

Payment History

2013-SEP OCT NOV

2014-JAN MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC

2015-JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Question With Midland

The biggest issue I see is the terms 1 month and the amount due. Not sure anyone ever signs an agreement with Midland for 1 month terms, and they cannot add fees to the amount unless the original contract you signed with the OC allows them to do so. Negotiating with Midland is caveat emptor in my opinion.  These people can be super sneaky and are widely considered the worst in the business.  If I were you, I'd find the original contract/agreement with the OC and if there are no terms that allow a 3rd party to add fees to the collection I'd dispute the fact that Midland is violating the FCRA by adding fees without an agreement to do so.

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

State law can also dicate what fees and interest can be added as well as the original contract. All collections report with 1 month terms. I dont see a problem with the way it is reporting. I would approach them with a PFD offer and if they wont accept it then work out a settlement that can  be  for less if its past SOL. You need to know the DoFD that was set by the OC as this date controls how long it can be reported to your CRs. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. I am trying not to "poke the bear" and contact the OC if it isn't needed, but is there any other way to get a contract? Also, is the SOL 7 years from DofFD on credit card debt across the board, or vary by state? I guess I will need this information to find out if the fees were legally added by Midland, since they are and additional 75% of the debt purchased. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response. I am trying not to "poke the bear" and contact the OC if it isn't needed, but is there any other way to get a contract? Also, is the SOL 7 years from DofFD on credit card debt across the board, or vary by state? I guess I will need this information to find out if the fees were legally added by Midland, since they are and additional 75% of the debt purchased. 

SOL refers to how long they have to bring court action against you. This varies by state. Google for that info. It has no bearing on the reporting period, which is 7.5 years max, established by federal law. NY sate has a law which shortens the report time to 5 years if its paid.

All times effectively start from the DoFD.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.