Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question about collections/judgements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Question about collections/judgements

I have been checking out these boards for a while now and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix my credit file. it is a mess.

I have slowly been chipping away at just having things removed by using credit karma.  I have only been brave enough to ask for things that were due to fall off in the next few months, but they have all been removed.

Now, I need to start tackling my collections and possibly a judgement.

First the judgement.  It is due to fall off on 9/2017.   Should I ask for an EE now or should I just wait and let it fall off naturally?  (I will still have 2 more judgements that will fall off in the next few years).  Is it worth to ask the CRA's? If so, I'm not even sure what to put in my letters.

I have 8 collections left (all medical).  They are due to fall off between 2018 and 2020.  They are all relatively small.  (like $25-$150).  I would prefer to have them removed, but I'm not sure where to start.  Should I ask the CRA's to verify? Should I ask for a PFD?  I'm a bit overwhelmed as I keep reading different things.

I apologize for this lengthy post, but thank you for reading!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Re: Newbie Question about collections/judgements

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been checking out these boards for a while now and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix my credit file. it is a mess.

I have slowly been chipping away at just having things removed by using credit karma.  I have only been brave enough to ask for things that were due to fall off in the next few months, but they have all been removed.

Now, I need to start tackling my collections and possibly a judgement.

First the judgement.  It is due to fall off on 9/2017.   Should I ask for an EE now or should I just wait and let it fall off naturally?  (I will still have 2 more judgements that will fall off in the next few years).  Is it worth to ask the CRA's? If so, I'm not even sure what to put in my letters.

I have 8 collections left (all medical).  They are due to fall off between 2018 and 2020.  They are all relatively small.  (like $25-$150).  I would prefer to have them removed, but I'm not sure where to start.  Should I ask the CRA's to verify? Should I ask for a PFD?  I'm a bit overwhelmed as I keep reading different things.

I apologize for this lengthy post, but thank you for reading!

I had 15 collection lines 12 of them being medical when I first started my rebuild. Check on the boards if folks have had luck removing with PFD's with your specific CA. Or just go straight to the company and ask for PFD. The worst they can say is no. Either way considering that they are so small you might as well pay them off so they quit updating. You can try to verify with the CRA but it might also poke the bear and start updating again.

If you can get an EE on your judgement, go for it. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying!

12 out of 15!  That's impressive.

Even though I have a lot of collections,  There are only 3 different collection agencies involved.   Off to research!  Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Can you not pay the collections?? I've gotten 7 or 8 removed in the last year. Two I disputed because of inaccuracies. A few more I paid, they deleted. I have one left.

My judgements were due to drop 6/2017 and 5/2018. They've been removed from all 3 bureaus. I asked for EE on the 6/2017 one but each bureau removed both. So I say it absolutely cannot hurt to ask.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can pay them.  It really annoys me that they are so little and it's wrecking my credit.   (I do know that it is completely my fault!)  

As for the judgement, I'm just going to ask, but when I go to credit karma to dispute, being too old is not an option, I'm not sure what to choose to ask.   

I suppose I could just write a letter, but I feel like it might be too early.  

After I tackle this.  It's off to Student Loans.  Ugh...

Message 5 of 14
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I've never disputed through CK only through the website of each CRA.

However that isn't what you want to do. You want to call in, ask for a supervisor, and ask for early exclusion. You don't technically have valid basis for a dispute.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

ahhhhh...I didn't realize we could call! 

That's great!  Just use the phone number on the website of the CRA?

Message 7 of 14
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Yep!!! And the 'ask for a supervisor' part is key. Lol
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are amazing!  Thank you!!  I will call tomorrow!   It's probably too soon, but I'm going to try anyway Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Fingers crossed for ya! Seems like the CRAs have been in a deleting mood. Lol.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.