Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question about collections/judgements

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Newbie Question about collections/judgements

@Anonymous wrote:

I can pay them.  It really annoys me that they are so little and it's wrecking my credit.   (I do know that it is completely my fault!)  

As for the judgement, I'm just going to ask, but when I go to credit karma to dispute, being too old is not an option, I'm not sure what to choose to ask.   

I suppose I could just write a letter, but I feel like it might be too early.  

After I tackle this.  It's off to Student Loans.  Ugh...

^^^Judgments are a totally different animal.  They may or may not be on your credit report, but they will be in your public records file.  Have you pulled up your public records to match up the actual judgments you have with the one's that are on your credit report?  

Judgments are valid for 20 years. Some jurisdictions are only 10 years. If the judgment remains unpaid, the judgment lienholder can renew again for 20 years (or ten years, whichever your jurisdiction allows).  The entire time they are unpaid, interest accrues at the statutory rate for your state.

The best time to negotiate judgments is when your credit report looks awful Smiley Happy The judgment holder may feel lucky that you selected their judgment to pay.  When you negotiate a judgment make sure you get a Satisfaction of Judgment recorded when you pay it. The judgment lienholder is the one that records the Satisfaction in the public records when you have paid it off.  This way it can't come back to haunt you in the future. It will still be in your public records, but it will also have a Satisfaction so it won't show up on your CR.  

Do some research in your state's statutes about judgments so you have the right information for your jurisdiction before you speak to a judgment lienholder. 

Message 11 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can pay them.  It really annoys me that they are so little and it's wrecking my credit.   (I do know that it is completely my fault!)  

As for the judgement, I'm just going to ask, but when I go to credit karma to dispute, being too old is not an option, I'm not sure what to choose to ask.   

Note: that collections under $100 do not count in FICO08 scoring. Definitely do a PFD. If that doesnt work, try contacting the medical office to pay it and have them recall the debt. Regarding student loans, if they are Federal, see if you can get on a rehab program.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

^^^Judgments are a totally different animal.  They may or may not be on your credit report, but they will be in your public records file.  Have you pulled up your public records to match up the actual judgments you have with the one's that are on your credit report?  

Judgments are valid for 20 years. Some jurisdictions are only 10 years. If the judgment remains unpaid, the judgment lienholder can renew again for 20 years (or ten years, whichever your jurisdiction allows).  The entire time they are unpaid, interest accrues at the statutory rate for your state.

The best time to negotiate judgments is when your credit report looks awful Smiley Happy The judgment holder may feel lucky that you selected their judgment to pay.  When you negotiate a judgment make sure you get a Satisfaction of Judgment recorded when you pay it. The judgment lienholder is the one that records the Satisfaction in the public records when you have paid it off.  This way it can't come back to haunt you in the future. It will still be in your public records, but it will also have a Satisfaction so it won't show up on your CR.  

Do some research in your state's statutes about judgments so you have the right information for your jurisdiction before you speak to a judgment lienholder. 

Ohhhhhh thank you!  You guys are incredible with your knowledge!! I wish I found you all earlier!  THANKS!!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Note: that collections under $100 do not count in FICO08 scoring. Definitely do a PFD. If that doesnt work, try contacting the medical office to pay it and have them recall the debt. Regarding student loans, if they are Federal, see if you can get on a rehab program.

My student loans are all deferred I did not default, but I have a lot with 30-60-90 lates in the past.  Yuck.  

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.