cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

tag
Bsmoke

Newbie Questions

I'm looking to buy a home soon, and am trying to get some bad marks off mine and my wife's credit reports.  I've read extensively on many of the posts in this forum, but now have a few questions before I begin acting on the info I now have.  At least one of my questions is really quite simple.

1) When dealing with the HIPAA process on a medical claim, on the first letter you send to your CRA (pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter to CRA), is the envelope supposed to be personalized as well?  What is the purpose of this personalization, does anyone know?

2) When dealing with a medical collection that appears on more than one CRA's report, do I initiate the process with all three, or just one?

3) With that initial letter referred to in question #1, the template to be used for writing that letter includes the certified mail #.  I've never sent anything certified mail before; do I just type up and print the rest of the letter, then take it to the post office and write the number in manually in the letter at the last second as I'm about to mail it?  How would I have access to that number before then?

If it matters, the medical collection is from a few years back, was supposed to have been paid by Workman's Comp because of it being a work injury, but for some reason appears on my wife's report as an unpaid balance referred to collection.  The balance is $0, which makes me assume that the CA did indeed take control of the debt.  My wife has never heard of any attempt at collection.

Message Edited by Bsmoke on 03-06-2009 01:45 PM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Questions

IMO it is always best to mail CMRRR on everything dealing with your CR. I keep cert.papers and GC here in case I need them. You walk into a post office & look for the little white & green papers. They have 20 # on them in groups of 4. You should also pick up GC.

I use to write the cert # in when I got to the post office. I find it better to pick up a few and have them ready.

You should handwrite the letters on the dispute because the CRAs scan everything and can NOT scan handwritting!!

You always dispute all CRAs that are reporting at the same time!

Wait until the CRAs notify you that the dispute is completed. If the reporting is not deleted then send the OC letter to the OC and use the insert (paid ) and add to it (paid by workmen comp)

Only dispute letters need to be written by hand. 

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-06-2009 03:20 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.