Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Seeking Guidance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Seeking Guidance

Hello!  Recent lurker, newly joined forum member today!  I ordered my credit scores from all three bureaus today and they are a doozy!  Let's just say I favor the one that gave me a score over 700 than the two that show my score in the 600s and 500s.  Anyhoo, I noticed a medical ding on two of the bureaus (TU and EX, they're also the ones with the scores in 600s and 500s respectively).  I called the original hospital as suggested in another post and they told me they were unable to recall the collection (it was shipped off back in May 2015).  They were kind enough to give me the account number and transfer me to the CA in charge of the debt now.  I spoke with them and told them I'd never received a letter.  Problem was, they sent it to an address I haven't lived at in 2 years.  I gave them a correct address (hope this wasn't wrong as I don't dispute the debt - I got some hospital imaging done back in 2011, paid them what they told me to pay then after they checked my insurance while I still there, they refunded me the money, why, who knows).  Do I send them a PFD with payment or send the PFD and wait for a response before sending payment?  From what I see, it's the only deliquent item on my reports and seeing as I'd like to buy a house within the next year, I want it gone.  All my other accounts are in good standing and I'm working on getting them to zero balances.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie Seeking Guidance

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

It appears that you are already at step 3 so yes you want them to either agree to a PFD in writing or verbally. A verbal contract is just as binding and there are ways to get them to honor it if necessary. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding!  I'll do exactly that.  Funny how I'm excited about getting things in order!

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they deposit funds that you send along with your PFD letter without deleting, then you are opening a can of legal worms.

Contracts dont exist until there is a clear "meeting of the minds."

Wait to remit any funds until you have their clear agreement, preferably in writing.

Oral agreements are OK, just a bit harder to enforce should they renege.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.