cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Toyota Finance and Chase / Best Buy charge off question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Toyota Finance and Chase / Best Buy charge off question.

I Just came across this forum a few days ago and am so excited to start rebuilding. Sob story goes as health problems > job loss > out of work for 9 months. That was 2 years ago and I am excited to say i've been paying off debt ever since. 

I have two major issues but all in all about 1600 of past due accounts and the balance of an auto loan of about 3k with a flawless year.

$982 of that debt is with Chase / best buy.  I haven't contacted/paid them in years. after 180 late over a year ago, they have reported a CO for about a year and then stopped earlier this year. Should I settle with the collections which offered 300-400 to settle the account,? If i do this can I ask chase to remove this?

TOYOTA FINANCE: I had a perfect year of paying the auto loan, since a REPO / REDEEMED. Will They remove this repo before the loan is paid off?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Toyota Finance and Chase / Best Buy charge off question.

BUMP to top, please.. any suggestions?

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My first reaction would be that the OC stopped efforts to collect because the debt was most likely sold to the debt collector rather than simply assigned to them for collection assisttance.  Does your report indicate that it was sold, or has the OC updated their reporting to now indicate $0 balance?

The significance of sale of the debt would relate to who you can pay or offer a PFD, and not whther the debt is sitll owed.

Taking of a charge-off does not relieve the consumer of continued obligation for the entire debt, so it is still owed to someone.

If sold, the OC is finished, other than updating their reporting to show $0 debt owed to them.  You could no longer pay them, and thus you could not offer a PFD to them for deletion of their reporting of the charge-off.

It is not stated whether the current debt collector who offered a settlement has yet reported to the CRAs.

If they have, you can offer them a PFD for deletion of any such reporting.

If they have not, you could offer than payment in exchange for their NOT reporting.

In either event, the debt collector cannot agree to any reporting that was made by the OC, such as the charge-off.

You would have to request a GW deletion from the OC is they no longer own the debt.  Having taken a loss on the debt, obtaining their GW may be a bit tough.....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Does your report indicate that it was sold, or has the OC updated their reporting to now indicate $0 balance?

I couldn't tell, though nowhere does it state that it was sold and the status reads: "Status:  Account charged off. $982 written off. $982 past due as of Feb 2014. "

I have received letters from collections apparently about "paying half to settle"

If I settle, should I first ask for PFD or call chase .

Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion for removing the R from my auto loan? I've read Toyota can be a little vindictive. Has anyone worked with them?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.