cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie here, just paid down two large credit card debts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie here, just paid down two large credit card debts.

So happened to come across this forum, I never knew how important credit was until after high school, I'm a college student, in my late 20s, a medical emergency completely corrupted my finances, I have two credit cards, well let me start from the beginning, I started out with my first Bank of America Platimum Plus Secured back in high school, with a $500 CL, it was my only card to date, I always paid on time, from my part time job as a cashier at a supermarket, after about a couple of years also, my security deposit was returned, and my CL increased to $5000 CL, yay me! I then got pre-approved for the AMEX Everyday Card in 2014, applied for it, got approved with an Experian score of 677 with a CL of $1000.00, kept paying it on time, more than the minimum due, by the time 2015 entered, my CL from AMEX got increased to $4000, at around Thanksgiving of 2015, the supermarket I was working in got bankrupt, so I was laid off, I really loved working at that place, I started to sink into depression and became hospitalized, my medical bills came rolling in, my health insurance only paid half, but the rest were out of pocket, so luckily, AMEX let me go overlimit cause of my excellent payment history, however, my medical bills ranged to almost $15K and it took me two years to pay down those medical debts, since I lost my job, it was really hard cause all my other bills got backed up, so my interest rates on my AMEX card skyrocketed, and I wasn't able to pay it at all, I explained my situation, and they understood, but they closed my account in July of 2017, and they were giving 90 Days to pay it down, if I wanted to reinstate it, of course, I still paid the minimum due on the closed account with tremendous interest fees, I told a good friend of mine who I have known forever and he has helped me pay down both debts, and after I recovered, and tried to get my life back on track, I found another job involving computers, good pay, good benefits, so to conclude, now that my AMEX Everyday Card is closed, I LOVED them, so I am thinking of reapplying for the Everyday card again cause AMEX wanted me back, they are so rewarding, so what should I do? Should I reapply for the same card, or just apply for the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, I also liked the AMEX Gold Premier Rewards, but I have that one on stand by since that is a charge card.

Here were my scores when I was in debt: *Note I haven't received my new report yet after the debts were paid, so I would keep you guys informed on that:

Experian: 642 Equifax: 661 Transunion: 681

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie here, just paid down to large credit card debts.

Amex will likely look positively on you paying them off versus letting it charge off. But your scores are kinda low so I'd say report back after your payments report.

If you paid all your cards to $0 that's a mistake. Read my signature link in the AZEO Method and fix that asap.

Do you have any open loans reporting? If not, read my link on the Alliant SSL Technique and do that asap.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Smiley Happy I only left the Bank of America card a balance of $400 something, I didn't pay that one in full entirely, but the AMEX one yes, that one was paid in full.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi! Smiley Happy I only left the Bank of America card a balance of $400 something, I didn't pay that one in full entirely, but the AMEX one yes, that one was paid in full.

Then you're under 10% so you're good there. Ideally you need 3 active revolvers to build a healthy credit file and 1 installment loan. With the scores you have right now you won't get an Amex revolver, maybe a prg. You can always check their prequalify page.  Dv

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What an active revolver
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.