Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie introduction and general questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie introduction and general questions

Hello,

My name is Mandi and I am new to this forum. I found it through various searches regarding re-building credit. After seeing several worthwhile posts I thought I would go ahead and join to community and seek advice.

Thank you to everyone here in advance for accepting me into your community.

Last I checked (over a year ago) my FICO was 584 - I havent touched it since so it should be the same or slightly better. My income is roughly $60-$70k per year. My goal here is to qualify for a home loan.

I have a plan to go about re-establishing my credit:

1. Finding my current score(s) and getting copies of my report(s).

• I know I am eligible to receive a free copy of my report based on a credit decline.
  • I am thinking of applying for a Discover card in hopes of a decline and an offer for their Discover It secured card.
  • Is there a better way to get my report(s) and get started?

Based on my results I will be:

2. Applying for unsecured credit cards.

• I have heard Von Maur department store and Firestone Tires offer unsecured cards to folks within the 580 FICO range.
  • Is this correct? Or a waste of time?
  • Are there other unsecured cards anyone can think of I may be eligible for?

3. Applying for secured credit cards.

• I like the following secured cards: DCU, US Bank, Discover It
  • Pros/cons?
  • Any other secured cards I should consider?

Also, I know my report shows at least one duplicate unsatifactory account. I think its from a 10+ year old BofA or Capital One card. Is this duplicate effecting my score? If so, is there an easy way to have this removed?

Thank you all so much!!

Mandi

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Newbie introduction and general questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

My name is Mandi and I am new to this forum. I found it through various searches regarding re-building credit. After seeing several worthwhile posts I thought I would go ahead and join to community and seek advice.

Thank you to everyone here in advance for accepting me into your community.

Last I checked (over a year ago) my FICO was 584 - I havent touched it since so it should be the same or slightly better. My income is roughly $60-$70k per year. My goal here is to qualify for a home loan.

I have a plan to go about re-establishing my credit:

1. Finding my current score(s) and getting copies of my report(s).

• I know I am eligible to receive a free copy of my report based on a credit decline.
  • I am thinking of applying for a Discover card in hopes of a decline and an offer for their Discover It secured card.
  • Is there a better way to get my report(s) and get started?

Based on my results I will be:

2. Applying for unsecured credit cards.

• I have heard Von Maur department store and Firestone Tires offer unsecured cards to folks within the 580 FICO range.
  • Is this correct? Or a waste of time?
  • Are there other unsecured cards anyone can think of I may be eligible for?

3. Applying for secured credit cards.

• I like the following secured cards: DCU, US Bank, Discover It
  • Pros/cons?
  • Any other secured cards I should consider?

Also, I know my report shows at least one duplicate unsatifactory account. I think its from a 10+ year old BofA or Capital One card. Is this duplicate effecting my score? If so, is there an easy way to have this removed?

Thank you all so much!!

Mandi

Welcome welcome welcome 
Love it when someone reads and comes here with a plan 

Wooo Hooo 

Don't wish for a decline for a free CR 

Start here for your free 3 yearly's 

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/requestReport/landingPage.action;jsessionid=Al2dDkt2F3pukpvZA6pfe2oLH_2Wah9234CBGIf4

Now tell us more about whats on your CR's which have scores low before we can make any card recommendations 

Car, Mortgage, SL, loans?

Baddies?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.