cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie like question about disputing a collection and charge off and possible re-aging

tag
TheMarg

Newbie like question about disputing a collection and charge off and possible re-aging

I have a newbie like question. I have a charge off and a collection that are showing on all three of my credit reports. The collection is set to fall off in November of this year and the charge off is set to fall off in February of 2013. If I dispute these with the credit bureaus and they come back verified, will it possibly cause the accounts to be re-aged? Also, even if they can't be re-aged, would disputing and them coming back verified cause any damage to my FICO? Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Newbie like question about disputing a collection and charge off and possible re-aging

@TheMarg wrote:

I have a newbie like question. I have a charge off and a collection that are showing on all three of my credit reports. The collection is set to fall off in November of this year and the charge off is set to fall off in February of 2013. If I dispute these with the credit bureaus and they come back verified, will it possibly cause the accounts to be re-aged? Also, even if they can't be re-aged, would disputing and them coming back verified cause any damage to my FICO? Thanks for your help.

Accounts cannot be re~aged ~ at least legally.   The credit reporting time period ( CRTP ) clock starts at the DOFD for the account, and the OC and collection tradelines on your reports would fall off at 7.5 years from DOFD, since it was charged off.

Disputing won't change the DOFD.   The accounts would be removed from FICO scoring while in dispute, then assuming they are verified, they would be added back, and your score would revert back to where it was previously.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Newbie like question about disputing a collection and charge off and possible re-aging

Hi TheMarg,

I would suggest sending  G W letters, to the OC and the CA, asking if they  would kindly delete early.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

GW letters are certainly a good idea ~ and let me add a caveat to my previous post - sometimes when items are disputed creditors make updates to the account or collection item in question, which can lead to unpredictable FICO scoring results, as the TL might be viewed as a more recent derogatory item.     

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Disputing requires the creditor/debt collector to conduct an investigation within set period.  It costs them time and money.

A consumer bears the initial burden in a dispute to assert some actual inaccuracy in credit reporting.  When a dispute does not do so, it is as much a misuse of the system as abuses conducted by "the other side." 

If the consumer later makes some "good-will" request from the furnisher, the filing of a frivolous prior dispute is not apt to foster an atmosphere of good will.

Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Moving this thread to the rebuilding forum.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.