Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie looking for help

Hi all, I'm just now getting to a point that I'm willing (and able) to take a look at my credit after coming out of a 3 year slump.  I'm commited to bringing my scores up and buying a home.  I'm completely new to how all of this works so I'm looking for some guidance. 

I've read through the basics (common abbreviations, Credit Scoring 101) but I'm still not clear on the next step. 

I asked a local mortgage company to take a look at my credit about one month ago in the hope that I might qualify for a home loan.  They said no but gave me a copy of the report.  Should I copy and paste it in this forum to get clear on my course of action based on the info???  THANKS IN ADVANCE,  RC 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie looking for help

First make sure everything on that report is accurate.   Which one is it btw??

Then run through your unpaid negative accounts ... These you will try to PFD.

Go through your paid negative accounts and start GWing them.

Would be smart also to list some names in this thread to see if anyone has prior success with any of the account lenders.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

"First make sure everything on that report is accurate."

There are a few things that are inaccurate.  I'm asking for a DV on them starting tomorrow through the CRA's.

"Which one is it btw??"

I'm not certain how to answer that.  There's this on the report:  CREDIT PLUS: 31550 WINTERPLACE PARKWAY, SALISBURY, MD 21804 (P) (800) 258-3488 (F) (800) 258-3287.  There's also Creditxpert and Credit Radar on the report.

Is that what you're asking?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your actual reports via annualcreditreport.com so you have all the details.

Was asking which report

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, the first step in applying for a mortgage loan should never be to just apply.

You need to first review and clean up your credit reports before for applying for any credit.

No, dont paste anything yet.  Especiailly not your whole CR!  Please develop concise questions to get concise advise on this site.

Posting a page of your CR without a specific issue wont get much response.

You, unfortunately, must do some work for us before we can offer good advice!  How do you do that?

Fairly routine.

As daboss has said,  THE very first step you should take is to order your free copy of your CR from each of the CRAs through annualcreditreport.com.

Being one new to credit scoring, let me give you a brief background on this site.  Dozens and dozens of commercial parties are lurking out there, ready to offer you, for a fee, copies of your credit report, and for even more fees, copies of your credit scores.  Those are usually crappy credit reports.

Ignore them for now. They are incomplete, and merge data in a way that most new to credit reporting wont undrstand, and will only lead to confusion.

The most complete credit report you can get is, ironically, the only really free credit report you can get.  It is part of legislation called the Federal Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) that entitles you, under federal law, to one FREE credit report from each credit reporting agency (CRA) once every twelve months.  That is where you start.

To do this, just log onto annualcreditreport.com.  Ask for your free credit report from each CRA.  DONT bite on their offer to also provide credit scores, for then it costs you money.  Just order your free credit report from each CRA from annualcreditreport.com.

Then you have the best data available.

Lay out each of the three credit reports from the three CRAs.  First, identify any information you see in any of them that you feel is incorrect.

Then try to find inconsistent reporting between the three reports.

Where to focus? First focus on lates payments reported by each original creditor.  Then focus on reporting of charge offs reported by the original creditor, and any reporting by a collection agency included in your credit reports.  The type and dates of those reportings control close to 90% of problems that refelect in your credit score.

So do that homework, then come back on and talk specifics.  The posters on this site know the FCRA and collections inside and out.

But just provide some focus first, and you will find this site most informatative as to your specific situation.

We dont want your name, personal identifiers, account names, etc.  Just the issues.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.