Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needing help!! Considering PFD.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie needing help!! Considering PFD.

Hello, everyone.  I started this journey a few months ago trying to repair/rebuild my credit.  Thanks to this forum, I've experienced several good changes which has increased my credit scores for TU and EQ.  EX hasn't changed at all, yet.  Here's what I have:

Back in 2010, I opened 2 charge accounts.  I didn't keep up the payments at all, so they are both charged off.  On my TU report, there is a note estimating the month and year of removal as May 2017 for one and March 2017 for the other.  I live in Louisiana, so I looked up the SOL.  For credit card accounts, it's 3 years; for open ended accounts, it's 10.  Not sure how these charge accounts would classify (I'm a pro at screwing up my credit, but a newbie at repairing it!!!) 

I really don't want to wait until 2017 for these things to fall off.  Should I try a PFD?  Or should I just wait until they fall off? 

There's a local credit repair agency that advises not to pay off old debt as it doesn't help your credit and in some cases will hurt it further.  However, I'm noticing on these boards that several people have had luck with PFDs.  I'm just trying to figure out what's right for me.  I'm doing good so far and I don't what to screw anything up and end up in a worse situation.

Any advice will be appreciated!!! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie needing help!! Considering PFD.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, everyone.  I started this journey a few months ago trying to repair/rebuild my credit.  Thanks to this forum, I've experienced several good changes which has increased my credit scores for TU and EQ.  EX hasn't changed at all, yet.  Here's what I have:

Back in 2010, I opened 2 charge accounts.  I didn't keep up the payments at all, so they are both charged off.  On my TU report, there is a note estimating the month and year of removal as May 2017 for one and March 2017 for the other.  I live in Louisiana, so I looked up the SOL.  For credit card accounts, it's 3 years; for open ended accounts, it's 10.  Not sure how these charge accounts would classify (I'm a pro at screwing up my credit, but a newbie at repairing it!!!) 

I really don't want to wait until 2017 for these things to fall off.  Should I try a PFD?  Or should I just wait until they fall off? 

There's a local credit repair agency that advises not to pay off old debt as it doesn't help your credit and in some cases will hurt it further.  However, I'm noticing on these boards that several people have had luck with PFDs.  I'm just trying to figure out what's right for me.  I'm doing good so far and I don't what to screw anything up and end up in a worse situation.

Any advice will be appreciated!!! 

If they are updating monthly now I would offer the PFD and even if they dont grant it I would still come to terms to settle it, you want the reporting to stop so it can age in Ficos eyes.

If its sitting there doing nothing I might make a PFD offer and if they say no thats the end of it till it either starts updating or its gone from your CRs.

Credit cards are always open accounts unless otherwise set forth by law or judicial actions. If LA has a SOL specifically for CCs then they fall under it.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Newbie needing help!! Considering PFD.

Paying may not help your score, but that is not the same as not helping your credit.

Paying results in satisfaction of the debt, which can be a huge, and even determining, factor in any manual review.

Waiting for a collection to "fall off" removes the ability of others to become aware of the continued presence of the unpaid debt simply by pulling your CR and seeing the open, unpaid collection, but it does not remove the fact of unpaid, delinquent debt.

There is still advantage to paying a debt without a PFD, or even paying the debt after CR exclusion.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.