Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needs some advice

tag
lordmasterkolb

Newbie needs some advice

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I recently started the rebuilding process with homes that I could apply for a mortgage in 1.5 to 2 years, and I was wondering if some of you might be able to give me some advice on where to get where I need to go.

As far as credit goes, I have one card open at the moment -- the Capital One Secured card with a $200 limit. No other cards.

I have about $40k in student loans, about $1k of that being a Perkins Loan that I thought was deferred but was not and is now with Coast Professional instead of my university.

I have a bunch of baddies:

• Capital One CO
  • Late Perkins Loan
  • Pinnacle - Verizon Wireless
  • EOS CCA - AT&T Mobility
  • Midland - T-Mobile
  • Credit Collection Services - Progressive
  • IC System - Bandfield Pet Hospital
  • NCO Financial - ER bill
  • Berks Collection - ER bill

I haven't done anything with the Capital One CO and I don't plan to - it falls off in a year. I'm still trying to figure out how to approach the Perkins situation. For just about everything else, I have sent PFD letters (no answers) and have since sent out DV letters.

Really, I would love nothing more than to get all of this cleared up, even if it means not settling and paying in full. How should I approach things now?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Newbie needs some advice

PFDs are obviously worth the shot, as if they are accepted, they both satisfy the debt and improve FICO score.

However, if they are not biting, what is the backup plan?  Are they within SOL?   For any reported charge-off or collection, what is the DOFD on the OC account?

Were your prior DVs timely, which determines whether the debt collectors are now under any cease collection bar?

More info is needed regarding account DOFDs and SOL status.

Statement that the unpaid CO is not going to be paid because it is soon to be excluded from your CR is certainly an option.

However, CR exclusion does not ensure that the unpaid debt wont still be a major issue.  It prevents others from becoming aware of the unpaid debt simply by a pull of your CR, but there are other ways for potential creditors to still become aware of its presence.  In any future loan app process, presence of unpaid, delinquent debt can be a show-stopper regardless of FICO score.  It is a decision with potential risk.  That applies to any of the unpaid debt that may also pass its CR exclusion period.

Message 2 of 3
koky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newbie needs some advice

With the Perkins Loan, this is my Advice to you... Go to the Original creditor which is your school and speak to the office in charge IP the account... If it has been transferred over then it's more likely that, you may want to think about rehabilitating the loan... I had the same problem, my account had been passed 180days late for 3 years.. But luckily I was able to convince the account manager at the school to change it to positive... Writing a GW to the Perkins Loan directly is a waste of time. They wouldn't buffer unless the school gives them a green light... Remember they just do the payroll and reporting they don't own the account...
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.