Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie on Board! Question about Dispute Letter

tag
Over_It_In_SC

Newbie on Board! Question about Dispute Letter

Hello..

I'm new to all of this, but I have begun the endeavor to go over my report with a fine tooth comb, put in new printer cartridges and have a letter writing party!

I read on the forum that you should not sign a DV letter.  What about the dispute type letters I'm writing?

Thank you..

Desiree
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie on Board! Question about Dispute Letter

Over_It_In_SC wrote:
Hello..

I'm new to all of this, but I have begun the endeavor to go over my report with a fine tooth comb, put in new printer cartridges and have a letter writing party!

I read on the forum that you should not sign a DV letter.  What about the dispute type letters I'm writing?

Thank you..

Desiree

Welcome to these forums!

IMO, avoid disputing the CRAs, unless there is something on your CR that is obviosuly wrong and can easily back that up (misplaced lates, personal info, duplicate accounts, changing a balance to $0 if paid already, etc.). Harm can come from disputing.

However, if you were to dispute, then via mail is the best CMRRR. I would sign and don't think it matters anyway.

We mention that you shouldn't sign a DV or a PFD, esp. to a CA, because CAs have been caught scanning signatures and then in turn applying those signatures to fake documents of their choosing. CRAs won't do that.
Message 2 of 8
Over_It_In_SC

Thank you for the information..  I am finding out that I'm going to have alot to learn and very glad I looked at this website.

Just a couple off questions of the top of my head - I thought that derogatory info was supposed to come off after 2 years (speaking of late payments)?  I'm seeing things that are well over 3 years since the last activity.

This is a thought more than a question..  Why is it that unbelievably obscure company names are allowed to be reported?.. I need a secret decoder ring to figure some of this stuff out.  I have no idea who Lvnvfundg is.
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Over_It_In_SC wrote:
Thank you for the information..  I am finding out that I'm going to have alot to learn and very glad I looked at this website.

Just a couple off questions of the top of my head - I thought that derogatory info was supposed to come off after 2 years (speaking of late payments)?  I'm seeing things that are well over 3 years since the last activity.

This is a thought more than a question..  Why is it that unbelievably obscure company names are allowed to be reported?.. I need a secret decoder ring to figure some of this stuff out.  I have no idea who Lvnvfundg is.

Any derog info, including lates, stays on for the full 7 years. There is talk that the impact to the score of lates deminishes after 2 yrs, but they can and do have an impact beyond that, at least for me.

Wait! Who told you about the ring! Smiley Surprised

MyFICO reports often mask the CA name, often due to privacy and medical collections, I guess. Though I had non-medical masked as well. LVNV Funding is a bad CA. Search and you'll find plenty of stories about them. Proceed cautiously.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

WELCOME...well your dealing with the good ole'...LVNV Funding too...
Message 5 of 8
Over_It_In_SC

Yeah, I guess I am..  I just cannot figure out who they are..  My 'current status' is showing as "120+ days past due".  The last activity shows 3/2005, I have 0 late payments showing, and scheduled payment amount as 0.00.

How can I be 120+ days late and yet have ZERO late payments??  I just don't get it.  I can see now that the fun is just beginning.

Smiley Tongue
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know why it has 120+ past due...but I know there should not be any lates...since it is a collection...
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem. Collection a few years old but showing as 120+ days late. Last updated 3-4 years ago.

I was worried that if they made any changes to the entry, my scores might decrease with the recent update.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.