Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Newbie on Board! Question about Dispute Letter

Hello..

I'm new to all of this, but I have begun the endeavor to go over my report with a fine tooth comb, put in new printer cartridges and have a letter writing party!

I read on the forum that you should not sign a DV letter.  What about the dispute type letters I'm writing?

Thank you..

Desiree
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie on Board! Question about Dispute Letter

Over_It_In_SC wrote:
Hello..

I'm new to all of this, but I have begun the endeavor to go over my report with a fine tooth comb, put in new printer cartridges and have a letter writing party!

I read on the forum that you should not sign a DV letter.  What about the dispute type letters I'm writing?

Thank you..

Desiree

Welcome to these forums!

IMO, avoid disputing the CRAs, unless there is something on your CR that is obviosuly wrong and can easily back that up (misplaced lates, personal info, duplicate accounts, changing a balance to $0 if paid already, etc.). Harm can come from disputing.

However, if you were to dispute, then via mail is the best CMRRR. I would sign and don't think it matters anyway.

We mention that you shouldn't sign a DV or a PFD, esp. to a CA, because CAs have been caught scanning signatures and then in turn applying those signatures to fake documents of their choosing. CRAs won't do that.

Thank you for the information..  I am finding out that I'm going to have alot to learn and very glad I looked at this website.

Just a couple off questions of the top of my head - I thought that derogatory info was supposed to come off after 2 years (speaking of late payments)?  I'm seeing things that are well over 3 years since the last activity.

This is a thought more than a question..  Why is it that unbelievably obscure company names are allowed to be reported?.. I need a secret decoder ring to figure some of this stuff out.  I have no idea who Lvnvfundg is.
Moderator Emeritus

Over_It_In_SC wrote:
Thank you for the information..  I am finding out that I'm going to have alot to learn and very glad I looked at this website.

Just a couple off questions of the top of my head - I thought that derogatory info was supposed to come off after 2 years (speaking of late payments)?  I'm seeing things that are well over 3 years since the last activity.

This is a thought more than a question..  Why is it that unbelievably obscure company names are allowed to be reported?.. I need a secret decoder ring to figure some of this stuff out.  I have no idea who Lvnvfundg is.

Any derog info, including lates, stays on for the full 7 years. There is talk that the impact to the score of lates deminishes after 2 yrs, but they can and do have an impact beyond that, at least for me.

Wait! Who told you about the ring! Smiley Surprised

MyFICO reports often mask the CA name, often due to privacy and medical collections, I guess. Though I had non-medical masked as well. LVNV Funding is a bad CA. Search and you'll find plenty of stories about them. Proceed cautiously.
Valued Contributor

WELCOME...well your dealing with the good ole'...LVNV Funding too...

Yeah, I guess I am..  I just cannot figure out who they are..  My 'current status' is showing as "120+ days past due".  The last activity shows 3/2005, I have 0 late payments showing, and scheduled payment amount as 0.00.

How can I be 120+ days late and yet have ZERO late payments??  I just don't get it.  I can see now that the fun is just beginning.

Smiley Tongue
Valued Contributor

I don't know why it has 120+ past due...but I know there should not be any lates...since it is a collection...
Established Contributor

I have a similar problem. Collection a few years old but showing as 120+ days late. Last updated 3-4 years ago.

I was worried that if they made any changes to the entry, my scores might decrease with the recent update.

FEB '08 FAKOs: TU 628 | EX 650 | EQ 584
JAN'09 FAKOs TU 686 | EX 705 | EQ 664
EQ FICO: FEB '08 646 | APR '08 678 | SEP '08 679
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.