cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie starting to rebuilding his credit, need advice from those who have been there

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie starting to rebuilding his credit, need advice from those who have been there

Let your C1 TL age for 6 months.  When I was in your boat, I was an AU user on a C1 card for 6 months, and then I was able to get a Quicksilver on my own. (I even got Barclay as well!)  I went from high 500's to high 600's in just 6 months.  Keep your usage at 20%, which would be $60.  Next, that judgement that is coming off in Jan '15, go ahead and call the reporting agency.  It is under 6 months before it will fall off, so they may remove it early which will help you out drastically!  Good luck on these credit adventures.  It is such a good feeling when everything falls into the right place. Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie starting to rebuilding his credit, need advice from those who have been there

Good to know. I will keep that in mind, gotta keep chugging along.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was only planning on buying a gas purchase on each card every month which would put me right about the 20% usage as you stated so that works. I would love to jump 100 points and be close to or above 700 by February to buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always advise paying the cards off before the statement report date.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noted. That's what I plan on doing. Discover just took the $300 out of my checking account for the secured card today so that card should be here by next week I assume and the CapOne should be here this week so I can start using and paying off. I'm going to contact TU about the early removal for the judgement which I hope will give my TU a large jump. I sent out GW letters to a few and PFD to a few as well so hopefully I gain some serious traction on my scores in the next month or two. 

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called TransUnion about an "early exclusion" to see if I could get the judgement removed early....said it could take a couple weeks so here's to hoping it gets removed.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I have been on to update this.
I was doing great got my scores to the mid 600s, then over the past 4-5 months slipped in a hole. I had 3 credit cards, 2 capital one cards 500 and 600 CL, and a secured discover it card w/ 300 CL. I also purchased a 2015 Honda Accord last September because my old vehicle died and the Honda dealer was running a cash for clunkers deal so it worked out, however my interest rate is high and it's through Honda financial.
I have never been late on my car loan, however my 3 CC I ended up going 90-120 days late....Discover ended up closing the secured card and I paid off the remainder of it so its balance is "0" except now I dont have that account anymore.
The 2 capone cards I have brought current and they have balances on then but they are current. My current credit scores are as follows.

Equifax = 521

Transunion = 539

Experian = 554

My 2 credit cards as follows

CapOne Quicksilver CL= $500 // Balance $490

CapOne Platinum CL= $600 // Balance $430

Here are my baddies as of last night;

old C/O capital one = $454, est removal 10/18

old C/O capital one = $524,  est removal 10/18 ***showing twice, once with Cap One then also with collection agency***

The secured Discover It card = $0 balance shows 90day past due

Medical collection = $138, est removal 08/211

Medical collection = $96, est removal 07/21

Medical Collection = $60, est remvoal 05/21

old C/O HSBC nevada bank = $487, est removal 10/18

cable collection = $188, est removal 06/19

cable collection = $551, est removal 05/19

Medical collection = $53, est removal 03/21

Medical collection = $50, est removal 04/21

2 US dept of Ed student loans showing 120day lates even though I was in school and were suppose to be deferred. they are showing current and in good standing right now.

So to make a long story short, need some advice from everyone on what to do. I really want to refiance my auto loan because the car was $27K and Im paying $551 a month for 72month loan w/ $3500 down, I dont remember my apr right now. I know I can get the best rates with scores above 740 but I just want to get to 700 to refiance. I know it will take time. Help me work some magic.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so the 5 medical collections I am able to pay them off to the original creditor with my FSA card....I didnt realize I missed them in the mail. Then I need to write some DV letters and get them sent out tomorrow if possible. Those need to be sent out certified mail correct? Then also start drafting PFD letters so I can hopefully have all these baddies off my list.

What should I do about the 90-120 day lates on the CC's? I was a passenger in a vehicle when it was hit by a beer truck and I was in the hospital and rehab for almost 4 1/2 months....should I send them GW letters explaining why I was late to see if maybe they can get rid of them? thaks everyone youre an awesome help.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I just pulled my current CR as of today for all 3 CRA's. Below is a list of all my baddies broken down by section.

Revolving Accts:

CapOne CC QS1 - $600 CL; Balance $433- Now current and good standng, but showing 30, 60, 90 day late. (was in a car accident and in hospital, intend to GW)

CapOne CC Plat - $500 CL; Balance $490- Now current and good standing, but showing 30, 60, 90 day late (was in a car accident and in hospital, intend to GW)

Discover CC secured it - $300 CL; Balance $0 -- Closed by Discover and will not reopen account. Paid it to $0 balance. (was in a car accident and in hospital, intend to GW)

CapOne Charge Off -- DOFD 12/11 Balance $0 showing sold to CA @ $454. Since this is showing on the revolving accts page does this still effect my score?

CapOne Charge Off -- DOFD 11/11 Balance $0 showing sold to CA @ $524. Same thing will this effect my score since its in the revolving accts page?

Installment Accts

U.S Dept of Ed (x2)-- showing paid as agreed but has up to 180 day lates on it...I was in school so Im going to have to contact them about getting them removed.

Central Ohio Credit Corp -- Auto Loan. This is my oldest account (2008), its paid off and had a couple 30 day lates and unfortunately a Repo.

Inquires:

Total of 20 over the past 2 yrs.

Collections:

Choice Recovery LLC  -- Medical(Orthopedic & Neurological) $50, DOFD= 03/11.

Focus Receivables Management -- TWC $188, DOFD 07/12

Portfolio Recovery Ass -- CapOne CC $525, DOFD 11/11

Cavalry Portfolio Services -- HSBC Bank Nevada $487, 11/11

x2 ARS Account Res -- Moes (Medical) $53, 08/14 -- I plan on paying these with a PFD

Amcol Systems -- OSU (medical) $45 (Paid on 9/25 to OC, they will pull this back from CA and will be deleted from report)

Amcol Systems -- OSU (medical) $115.50 (Paid on 9/25 to OC, they will pull this back from CA and will be deleted from report)

Amcol Systems -- OSU (medical) $60 (Paid on 9/25 to OC, they will pull this back from CA and will be deleted from report)

Amcol Systems -- OSU (medical) $138 (Paid on 9/25 to OC, they will pull this back from CA and will be deleted from report)

Amcol Systems -- OSU (medical) $96 (Paid on 9/25 to OC, they will pull this back from CA and will be deleted from report)

Stellar Recovery -- Dish Network $551, 06/12 

So I need some advice on where to go from here.... I want to refinance my Auto Loan by the end of the year and looking at buying a house by summer of 2016. I now only have to active CC both CapOne so I need another. What should I do next?

Current scores: as of 9/25/15

Equifax: 521

Transunion: 540

Experian: 554

Please help me! Thanks

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.