Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with Credit and ChexSystem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie with Credit and ChexSystem

So a little run down before getting into the how dumb and flaming

- When I hit 18 I opened a few accounts and well I was never told exactly how to handle credit cards or bank accounts properly. So I did what I assume a lot of 18 year olds would do and have a little fun..

- For the past almost 12 years I have been dealing with everything from when I was 18. I still have stuff on my credit and I am still not able to move or open anything. I thought it would fall off but I guess I am wrong.

- I had Lexington Law working on my stuff for about 4 months but they want to keep charging me 120$ for one account ( $90's) and it wont fall off. But they keep demanding money for no action taken. So I have stopped with them and sense seeked my own counsel since I really do not want to fork over 120$'s a month for nothing.

- I have pulled my chex sytem report and there is two bank accounts on there. Totalling around 250$ which to be honest is easy to pay off. 

I do have 5 Credit Cards currently that I am working to pay down as they are all maxed out. I live paycheck to two days after a paycheck. Food can be troubling to come by from time to time.

Credit Karma/Credit Sesame and others are not very accurate and I am afraid I am missing information. 

Anyways long story shortened.

Chex System says I have 2 liens and 4 derogatory accounts and 2 evictions. althought I do not recall this so I have opened a dispute with them.

I want to build my credit and get out of this slump I am in with dealing with all this. Should I wait and allow a few more years to pass. Or if I pay these companies can I get a promise from them that it would be removed? Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and some check verification company (cergety or something) is blocking me from being able to cash my payroll check at walmart. like geez

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie with Credit and ChexSystem

@Anonymous wrote:

So a little run down before getting into the how dumb and flaming

- When I hit 18 I opened a few accounts and well I was never told exactly how to handle credit cards or bank accounts properly. So I did what I assume a lot of 18 year olds would do and have a little fun..

- For the past almost 12 years I have been dealing with everything from when I was 18. I still have stuff on my credit and I am still not able to move or open anything. I thought it would fall off but I guess I am wrong.

- I had Lexington Law working on my stuff for about 4 months but they want to keep charging me 120$ for one account ( $90's) and it wont fall off. But they keep demanding money for no action taken. So I have stopped with them and sense seeked my own counsel since I really do not want to fork over 120$'s a month for nothing.

- I have pulled my chex sytem report and there is two bank accounts on there. Totalling around 250$ which to be honest is easy to pay off. 

I do have 5 Credit Cards currently that I am working to pay down as they are all maxed out. I live paycheck to two days after a paycheck. Food can be troubling to come by from time to time.

Credit Karma/Credit Sesame and others are not very accurate and I am afraid I am missing information. 

Anyways long story shortened.

Chex System says I have 2 liens and 4 derogatory accounts and 2 evictions. althought I do not recall this so I have opened a dispute with them.

I want to build my credit and get out of this slump I am in with dealing with all this. Should I wait and allow a few more years to pass. Or if I pay these companies can I get a promise from them that it would be removed? Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and some check verification company (cergety or something) is blocking me from being able to cash my payroll check at walmart. like geez

Welcome to the forums.

We've all made mistakes and are working toward correcting those errors in judgment, so no flaming (against the TOS here). 

You've given us a lot to digest, so I'll try to answer what I can.   Could you please provide more specfic information related to what is on your reports.  Negative credit information is excluded from credit reports 7.5 years after the DOFD (date of first delinquency), but that doesn't negate from the debt being owed.  I'm a bit confused as to what information that is on your reports that possibly should have been excluded. 

When and what is your most recent derogatory information?  I feel as though there is some overlapping of information, and knowing how recent the information is will enable us to try to provide you with some suggestions on dealing with the baddies.  In regards to Chexsystems, if you can afford to pay off  what you owe, then that would be a good start and will hopefully enable you to be able to cash your checks. 

What credit cards do you current have and what are the balances?   While CK and CS do not provide accurate credit scores, they will at least let you know what your UTI is and information about derogatory information, but some information may not be present on TU or EQ, but on EX ( I had medical collections that only showed up on EX).  One can always request a PFD (pay for delete) of negative information, but the creditor is not under any obligation to do this, but it never hurts to ask. 

Some have used credit repair services; in the course of working toward rebuilding my credit, I used the information provided on the forum to help eliminate some baddies that I had.  You cannot change what has happened, but you can learn from this and move forward.  If your cards are maxed out, then you need to sock drawer them until you can get your balances under control.  I went 4 years at one stretch where I paid cash for everything, and would still be in that cycle had I not needed a car and got a loan, but it was at an atrocious interest rate and I knew I had to make some changes. 

I don't know who on the forum said this, but it has always stuck with me:  " Don't purchase anything on credit unless you are able to pay the  balance in full".  While that is not always possible, for me, it meant don't over extend myself.  Looking forward to your reply.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.