cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with some questions about getting my credit up

tag
rob0589

Newbie with some questions about getting my credit up

Whats going on everyone my name is rob. This is my first post on this forum so i wanted to introduce myself. I recently paid off all my debt and have had all of my payments on my accounts on time the last 8 months. My experian score is a 603 and i want to improve. I dont want to apply for CC and get diened and have inquirys on my report. Can someone help me out with getting my score up as fast as i can. I recently opened my second credit card from capital one. It has not been put on my report yet but im hoping that will bring my score up alittle. My main goal is to get a car loan with a decent interest rate within the next few months. Any input will help. Thanks

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie with some questions about getting my credit up

Are the collections marked paid on your cr or have you gotten them removed??? I have been working on my and I tried going the GW route but it takes persistence.
Message 2 of 22
FrugalRican
Blogger

First thing: Where did you get that Experian score from?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@rob0589 wrote:

Whats going on everyone my name is rob. This is my first post on this forum so i wanted to introduce myself. I recently paid off all my debt and have had all of my payments on my accounts on time the last 8 months. My experian score is a 603 and i want to improve. I dont want to apply for CC and get diened and have inquirys on my report. Can someone help me out with getting my score up as fast as i can. I recently opened my second credit card from capital one. It has not been put on my report yet but im hoping that will bring my score up alittle. My main goal is to get a car loan with a decent interest rate within the next few months. Any input will help. Thanks

Hello and welcome to myFICO.

I also am curious where this score came from. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. The "score" sold at the Experian website is called a "PLUS" score and is not used by any lenders.

You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

I guess what I'm trying to say is your situation might not be as bad as your score from EX indicates. Your true FICO's could be higher or lower than that 603.

Message 4 of 22
golo
Frequent Contributor

And how would you know your Experian score?

Message 5 of 22
rob0589

yes all of the accounts say paid and 0 balance. I pulled that experian score from experian.com.. Is that score not right?

Message 6 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@rob0589 wrote:

yes all of the accounts say paid and 0 balance. I pulled that experian score from experian.com.. Is that score not right?

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only.

The "score" sold at the Experian website is called a "PLUS" score and according to EX itself: Calculated on the PLUS Score model, your Experian Credit Score indicates your relative credit risk level for educational purposes and is not the score used by lenders

Message 7 of 22
rob0589

so is my score actually lower then that or higher?

Message 8 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I think what is being pointed out is that the 603 score is not a FICO score. Your FICO can easily be much higher or much lower. There's no way of knowing either since you cannot buy your EX FICO from anywhere.

My vote is to let your second CC age 6-12 months at least before adding a third. And to get one CC to show $0 and the other a balance under 9% of that CL before applying. Adding a new card now would likely hamper your car loan chances, or possibly result in a higher rate. I would also get the car before the CC.

Message 9 of 22
rob0589

ok thanks for your help. So the best place to pull my credit score is myfico?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.