cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tag
hoppermech
New Contributor

First let me start off by introducing myself, I am a Retired Navy man living in western Pa with my Wife and three kids. Have been working on my credit for the past almost 2 months, went thru a credit repair agency to start this process and wanted to know others opinions on whether or not credit repair agency's are a good thing or not, started off with 62 negative or derogatory items on my credit report and after the first 45 days 12 were removed and now have 30 more in dispute, at 43 I feel like a late bloomer but now I am being very proactive on trying to fix this, first goal is to reach 620 so wife and I can buy our dream house and get out of the rental rut and start building better credit with that done, then plan to keep on going to 850 what ever it takes. It seems like a hard mountain to climb but am ready for the challenge. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Starting Score: EQ 518 TU 589
Current Score: EQ 571 TU 614 EXP hard pull Jan 2012 629 Beacon 5.0
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie

Welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy  I've found it to be a very helpful place.

As for your question regarding the credit repair agencies, in my experience I've found them to not be very helpful at all, but others may have a differing opinion.  Most of the work can be done yourself with some research and elbow grease. 

Have you pulled your scores recently to see where you stand?

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
sunshine24
New Contributor

Yes, welcome. Read anything and everything you can here! You'll get great tips and lots of support. Good luck to you!

Starting Score: 608 EQ (FICO) 8/11/11
Current Score: 713 EQ (FICO) 2/14/13

Message 3 of 6
hoppermech
New Contributor

I have a score from 04/21/2011 from when I first applied for a home loan it says EQ 525, TU 532, and EXP 553, but i did sign up for one of the credit watch places called  1-2-3 privacy matters that gives you your current scores (FACO)  and it says my current scores as of 11/03/2011 is TU 511, EXP 505, and EQ 518,

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@hoppermech wrote:

I have a score from 04/21/2011 from when I first applied for a home loan it says EQ 525, TU 532, and EXP 553, but i did sign up for one of the credit watch places called  1-2-3 privacy matters that gives you your current scores (FACO)  and it says my current scores as of 11/03/2011 is TU 511, EXP 505, and EQ 518,

Welcome to the forums.

The lender pulled scores from April are accurate but those most recent scores are worthless. Your true FICO scores could be higher or lower than these non-FICO scores. There is no 3 in 1 monitoring service that sells FICO scores.

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but that site seems to have stopped doing that. Wal Mart now offers a TU score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score but you have to look very hard to find it. You can get to it here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 6
hoppermech
New Contributor

OOh Rah Marine thanks

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.