cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my first post on my journey to rebuild my credit. I have been lurking in the shadows reading up on what other posters have been writing for about a month now and find it is time for me to come out into the light.

Credit Check Total FICO Scores EX 597, TU 596, EQ 58O

The story: Had a hard time bouncing back financially after a divorce in 2011 and then injured in 2012 which laid me up for 3.5 months. Lost house and lots of bills turned over to collections and many judgements over the next 2.5 years and one credit card CO.

The bad:
9 Judgements on record as of today - all but one fully paid
2 should fall off within the next 1.5 months
3 will fall off by May 2018
3 in 2019
1 in 2020

1 Citibank CO for 859.00 from 2013

2 open collection accounts of 585.00 and 162.00

The good: ( I think)
Cap1 Platinum unsecured increased to 750cl in Feb, original 500sl from May 2015 100% paid on time, few times at 90% Uti, now at 20% max
Quicksilver1 unsecured 500sl from Jan 2017 100% pif every other week, max Uti of 30%
Student loan original debt $10,500 in 2015 now under 8,000 never late

Unsure if good or bad:
Auto loan of 17,500 in March 2017 1st pmt due April 24th, set for autopay 15th of every month from separate checking account that gets first $250 of each paycheck.

Today I called one of collection agents and asked for and recieved delete for pif on 162.00 account. Had her email me signed agreement for deletion before I paid and receipt after I paid. She said it will be off credit report by may 15th.
Thanks to all previous posters as I did not realize that pif/delete was ever an option. I was just waiting on SOL to run out until I read success stories. Will continue trying with next collection agency and try pif/goodwill on citi account

Also in process of having 2 medical judgements removed, already talked to creditor and just need to send in disputes to CRAs and creditor will remove. Should hopefully be off by mid May early June if not sooner.

Question on these 2 judgements. These 2 were judgements were awarded on August 11th 2014. Both were paid in full by my insurance company on July 31st 2012, 11 days prior to court date. I was unaware of judgements as I had moved and thought my insurance had already paid. I found these judgements after registering with credit karma a few months ago and only after reading into these forums began to challenge them.
So question is, do I have any legal recourse against this collection agency for continuing to file judgement after being paid in full? If I do, what kind of action?

Thank you all for your advice previous to this post and looking forward to learning more from you all on my rebuild.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie

Good question that I don't have the answer to, but figured I'd ping it back to the top.

Message 2 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
This is my first post on my journey to rebuild my credit. I have been lurking in the shadows reading up on what other posters have been writing for about a month now and find it is time for me to come out into the light.

Credit Check Total FICO Scores EX 597, TU 596, EQ 58O

The story: Had a hard time bouncing back financially after a divorce in 2011 and then injured in 2012 which laid me up for 3.5 months. Lost house and lots of bills turned over to collections and many judgements over the next 2.5 years and one credit card CO.

The bad:
9 Judgements on record as of today - all but one fully paid
2 should fall off within the next 1.5 months
3 will fall off by May 2018
3 in 2019
1 in 2020

1 Citibank CO for 859.00 from 2013

2 open collection accounts of 585.00 and 162.00

The good: ( I think)
Cap1 Platinum unsecured increased to 750cl in Feb, original 500sl from May 2015 100% paid on time, few times at 90% Uti, now at 20% max
Quicksilver1 unsecured 500sl from Jan 2017 100% pif every other week, max Uti of 30%
Student loan original debt $10,500 in 2015 now under 8,000 never late

Unsure if good or bad:
Auto loan of 17,500 in March 2017 1st pmt due April 24th, set for autopay 15th of every month from separate checking account that gets first $250 of each paycheck.

Today I called one of collection agents and asked for and recieved delete for pif on 162.00 account. Had her email me signed agreement for deletion before I paid and receipt after I paid. She said it will be off credit report by may 15th.
Thanks to all previous posters as I did not realize that pif/delete was ever an option. I was just waiting on SOL to run out until I read success stories. Will continue trying with next collection agency and try pif/goodwill on citi account

Also in process of having 2 medical judgements removed, already talked to creditor and just need to send in disputes to CRAs and creditor will remove. Should hopefully be off by mid May early June if not sooner.

Question on these 2 judgements. These 2 were judgements were awarded on August 11th 2014. Both were paid in full by my insurance company on July 31st 2012, 11 days prior to court date. I was unaware of judgements as I had moved and thought my insurance had already paid. I found these judgements after registering with credit karma a few months ago and only after reading into these forums began to challenge them.
So question is, do I have any legal recourse against this collection agency for continuing to file judgement after being paid in full? If I do, what kind of action?

Thank you all for your advice previous to this post and looking forward to learning more from you all on my rebuild.

Typically they would just request the court case be dismissed on receiving the payment and they have 30 days to request that be done. I dont see a recourse against them here. What I would be doing is getting them to vacate those judgements then they can be removed from your CR. The creditor cannot remove a judgment themselves as they are public records and picked up by runners sent to the courthouses then these records are sold to the CRAs. Starting in June there are going to be some changes in the way some things report to your CRs and I believe judgments are one of them.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of the judgements are medical from horribly messed up payments from Tricare and confusion by treatment facilities on who to bill. They were injuries caused from military service but tricare kept sending back unpaid telling treatment facility to submit to my civilian employer workers comp. I have EOBs for 2 of the paid judgements, waiting for Tricare to get me the rest right now. Tricare told me to go ahead and send in disputes on the ones I have EOBs for, but was wondering g if I should just dispute all of the medical judgements at same time or on an individual basis as I get documents from insurance?
Disputing claims is just the starting point to get off CRAs, will be working with military to get judgements removed completely but told that could take years.
Message 4 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Most of the judgements are medical from horribly messed up payments from Tricare and confusion by treatment facilities on who to bill. They were injuries caused from military service but tricare kept sending back unpaid telling treatment facility to submit to my civilian employer workers comp. I have EOBs for 2 of the paid judgements, waiting for Tricare to get me the rest right now. Tricare told me to go ahead and send in disputes on the ones I have EOBs for, but was wondering g if I should just dispute all of the medical judgements at same time or on an individual basis as I get documents from insurance?
Disputing claims is just the starting point to get off CRAs, will be working with military to get judgements removed completely but told that could take years.

It doesnt take years to remove judgments if you can get them vacated, some states you can file the motion yourself in the court that granted it and the grounds would be that its been paid. If you cant file the motions yourself then the plaintiff maybe willing to do it for you especially if you are working with them to get them paid. Getting them vacated is the fastest way to get them removed from your CRs.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I do not live in the state where they are filed. Collections agent told me to file dispute with CRAs and they would verify paid in full by insurance and have removed from reporting. Will that be enough to have them at least removed from reporting?
Message 6 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I don't think a creditor can have a judgement removed.  As stated above, this is a public record.  When you dispute a public record it is reconfirmed thru that agency (bankruptcy court, clerk of court etc)  The creditor can have their tradeline removed, such as any collection accounts that are associated with the final judgement.  You need to somehow have the judgements vacated so that they are removed from your public records.  The collection agency can request that they be vacated, I think.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you all for the responses, I was reading through them real quickly and not comprehending what was being said. I apologize. If that is the case I will not waste my money paying for certified mail only to have CRAs come back saying, yup these are your judgements. I will research more on just getting these vacated.

I act like I'm in a hurry to remove these items ,maybe I am. Since finding this forum, I have become addicted to trying to improve my credit. Most will fall off within next two to three years. I dont plan on buying a house for 3yrs. I will have all collections/judgements/CO paid off in next few months. I'd like to possible get a foot into discovers door withing the next year and also looking at NFCU. However afraid to pull trigger and risk hard pulls until debts paid in full. Not sure how picky NFCU is after having 8HP from auto loan and my scores.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also let me state that even though insurance and military let me down on these judgements, I should have paid more attention to my credit years ago. As much as I want this stuff gone, I do take full responsibility for ensuring all debts are paid. I may not have felt that way a few years ago, but I do now. I am more goal oriented rather than what's fun now. My credit scores suck due to me not caring about them in first place.
Message 9 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok thank you all for the responses, I was reading through them real quickly and not comprehending what was being said. I apologize. If that is the case I will not waste my money paying for certified mail only to have CRAs come back saying, yup these are your judgements. I will research more on just getting these vacated.

I act like I'm in a hurry to remove these items ,maybe I am. Since finding this forum, I have become addicted to trying to improve my credit. Most will fall off within next two to three years. I dont plan on buying a house for 3yrs. I will have all collections/judgements/CO paid off in next few months. I'd like to possible get a foot into discovers door withing the next year and also looking at NFCU. However afraid to pull trigger and risk hard pulls until debts paid in full. Not sure how picky NFCU is after having 8HP from auto loan and my scores.

I think we all understand that addiction to fixing our credit.  Once you start to see things happen, you just want to see more things work in your favor.  NFCU seems like a very great CU so far.  I joined last month and have been very pleased.  I have a Ch 13 bankruptcy and a tax lien on record.  So far I have obtained a car loan and a CLOC from them.  I was declined on the cc but I think with some time and establishing a relationship with them, I will be approved.  If NFCU is your goal, get your foot in the door now with a checking and savings and as your credit improves, work toward opening some credit with them.  

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.