Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Step?

tag
cabner
New Contributor

Next Step?

History:   I opened a CorTrust CC back in late - July 2008 - during the harvester fee period.  First statement due was $179.95 before I ever used it with a CL of 250 total.  I stupidly stopped making payments after my September payment as I continued to get fees hitting for over the limit/late payment/fees to make payments, etc.  It didn't matter that I paid over the minimum due, or paid online before the due date. Anyhow that's besides the point now.  

I am looking to get a mortgage in a few months and the mortgage broker said that this needs to either get removed, or show up as paid.  Now I've heard NOTHING from them collecting on it for years.  It's past the SOL for my state, so I tried emailing several email addresses for them, including a general email account that was on their website.  I've heard nothing.   Actually, I tried this last year too to the general email box and heard nothing.  One would think that an offer to PFD in FULL with it only able to hang on my report until Sept 2015 (according to my CR) that they would 1 jump on it, or 2 start collection efforts again.   Nothing....not even a "pay in full, and we'll mark it as paid".

I've tried disputing it through the CRA (EQ) before I started really digging into things, and it came back as reporting ok per FCRA (or however they state that).  I've been researching this to see if it was part of the 2008 FTC ruling, but I can't find a link between them and CompuCredit.  However it has the same exact amounts that some of their offers originally had with the $119 acceptance fee, 4.95 premium club fee, 6.00 participation fee, and 50 annual charge fee.  I've found several articles referencing them as prime example of being a harvester fee card.

So my question is....what are my next steps?   BBB, emailing them again, disputing again?   I'm willing to pay them, but heck if I can't get any response, I don't think that they want my $435 to badly.  It is CorTrust on my report, they are the OC.  There is no CA involved.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Starting Scores 12/28/2014: TU: 599 EX: 599 EQ: 568

Current Scores: TU: 675 EX: 664 EQ: 620
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cabner
New Contributor

Re: Next Step?

Anyone??

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would call their staff at their executive office level and explain your willingness to pay.

I would presume that will get you a return call from someone willing to take your $$.

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If that CO has not been updating monthly already when it does to a paid CO it will look new in the eyes of Fico and drop your score. I would do nothing with this entry since its so close to CRTP and I would begin asking the CRAs for an early exclusion 6 months out with TU and 3 months with the other 2. Once its been removed from your CR I would then settle for 20% or less. I would also delay any mortgate app until this is removed from your reports. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
cabner
New Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

If that CO has not been updating monthly already when it does to a paid CO it will look new in the eyes of Fico and drop your score. I would do nothing with this entry since its so close to CRTP and I would begin asking the CRAs for an early exclusion 6 months out with TU and 3 months with the other 2. Once its been removed from your CR I would then settle for 20% or less. I would also delay any mortgate app until this is removed from your reports. Good luck Smiley Happy

I would love to wait until it's off of my report, however my lease is up at the end of May.  I don't want to sign another lease, as the apartment complex isn't the greatest.  Ok...it's probably just that I've been renting houses the past 14+ years, and can't handle apartment living and my kids and I are going nuts here.  :-) 

Message 5 of 7
cabner
New Contributor

Tried calling again, the person couldn't find record of my account.   Seriously!  I gave the entire card number, they're reporting on my CR.  Someone was supposed to have called me back.  I've emailed the CEO and VP, and a general mailbox as well.    At least they could tell me to jump off a cliff!

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I never advocate filing of a dispute unless there is an actual inaccuracy.  In your case, however, there would appeat to be a legit basis for dispute that would compel an investigation of the debt itself, and thus their obligiation to correct or delete.  No records = no basis to provide the correct amount = deletion.  A stretch as for deletion, but you might give it a go.

If you have any legitimate basis for sending them a direct dispute, that will compel them to investigate the accuracy of the disputed information, and either verify, correct, or delete the disputed information.  You can apparently dispute the current balance if they have not been updating monthly.

They are obligated, per FCRA 623(a)(2), to have promtply updated any information so as to maintsin its current accuracy.  They have not done so.

That will compel them to investigate the accuracy of the disputed information, and either verify, correct, or delete the disputed information

If they have no basis to determine what they now consider the amount of debt owed to them, deletion would arguably be compelled .........

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.