Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next move? More cards or car loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next move? More cards or car loan?

First time poster, longtime reader, gained much more insight from here than my banker was able to offer.

Long story short I started rebuilding in Nov 2014. I had 2 collections and some serious student loan late payments but no ch7. Started rebuilding after applying for a car loan and being offered 25% interest rate (of course I didn't take it I bought a cheaper car cash).

Started with a partially secured cap 1 in Dec w $200 limit, always paid on time and sometimes several PIFs before statement date.

Paid off 5 parking tickets which removed 7 collections completely. Since the cap1 and the pay offs my score went up from 560 to 633.

3 weeks ago I sent GW letters and will be disputing the ACS portion since they rejected GW. I applied for QuickSilver one 3 weeks ago and approved for $500 - I'm talking to the facebook team about raising this prematurely. Same night I got declined for Walmart (thought it would be an easy win - I'm almost offended they turned me down).

I had 2 car loans in past both paid off and never had a credit card before because I didn't like the idea but I was an AU on an account for 5 years.

My current Aaoa is 5 years. Ultimate goal is to buy house near end of year.

So should I app for another car loan in 3 months? (Small loan less than 8k) Also I was thinking of app for Barclay in 2 months, and then maybe a citi or chase 3 months after that? I want some good cards with good limits not that I want to borrow money but I want to have the option and eventually have prime cards to get some miles. (Currently have 6 inquiries)

Current scores: eq 622 tu 633 ex 605
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next move? More cards or car loan?

Don't finance a car just for the sake of FICO points. Instead just open an account with SDFCU, put 500 bucks in it and get a secured loan. You'll get just as much FICO mileage from it, that you would get from an auto loan, for a lot less out of pocket, and your DTI will be better on the mortgage app.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't finance a car just for the sake of FICO points. Instead just open an account with SDFCU, put 500 bucks in it and get a secured loan. You'll get just as much FICO mileage from it, that you would get from an auto loan, for a lot less out of pocket, and your DTI will be better on the mortgage app.

Thanks Norman, I just now noticed your reply I'm still figuring out how this site works. I wasn't planning on buying the car just for the points, I need to buy a car regardless but the plan was to either buy a cheaper one cash up front or a slightly nicer one with a small loan, something more reliable. Ultimately I want to buy a house so if this new loan imporves my credit then I hit two birds with one stone having a better car and better score but if it will harm or not do my credit any good then i'll just buy the cheaper car for now... Do you think a small loan would have a good or a bad impact over the next 6-12 months on my score?

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Norman, I just now noticed your reply I'm still figuring out how this site works. I wasn't planning on buying the car just for the points, I need to buy a car regardless but the plan was to either buy a cheaper one cash up front or a slightly nicer one with a small loan, something more reliable. Ultimately I want to buy a house so if this new loan imporves my credit then I hit two birds with one stone having a better car and better score but if it will harm or not do my credit any good then i'll just buy the cheaper car for now... Do you think a small loan would have a good or a bad impact over the next 6-12 months on my score?

if you need another car then by all means buy one, installment loans initially cause a Fico score decrease for the new account, as they age they result in a few point gains, towards the end of the loan they can add even more points but once your last instalment closes there will be a Fico decrease (as much as 30 pts as seen in Fico 8 model). You only want to get installment loans if you actually need them to purchase something and you dont want any new credit 6 months prior to a mortgage pull.

The best way to help yourself is to open 3 revolving bankcards and 1 store card in your name to boost your Fico. You want to use these cards and let only one of them report a balance of no more than 9% of its individual CL to the CRAs to help maximize your Fico, the exact percentage between 1 and 9 you will have to experiment with to find the sweet spot, its different for everyone. Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.