Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next step after OC ignored my request for investigation

tag
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Next step after OC ignored my request for investigation

On October 29th, Frontier COmmunications received my 623 letter asking for documentation that  proves I owe a debt.  It has now been 33 days and I have received nothing in the mail.  At this point should I send the two CRAs certified letters asking for deletion, given that Frontier never responded?  Must I legally send another request to Frontier with a five day notice before I go to the CRAs?  Would it make better business sense to file a complaint with the BBB first? This creditor did not respond because I do not owe this debt, and I am very eager to get this cleared off my reports.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
H_you
Valued Member

Re: Next step after OC ignored my request for investigation

October 29? Is only 3 days. 35 days from receipt of letter. Then you can dispute with CRA due to noncompliance
Message 2 of 4
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Sorry, that was a typo and I meant to say they received the letter on September 29th! 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

The furnsher has 30 days go complete their investigation, and five business days thereafter to get their notice of results in the mail.

Add to that mailing time, the normal period can be at least 40 days.

Even if late in response, oncompliance with the response period for a direct disute is not basis for dispute with a CRA and does not mandate deletion of the disputed info.

The CRAs are not part of the direct dispute process, and have no authority to delete based on lack of response.

You can either file a complaint with the CFPB or bring your own legal action, seeking damages.

If they can later verify accuracy, even if deleted, they could always simply reinsert, so deletion is unlikely to be a remedy.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.