Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps in rebuilding?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next steps in rebuilding?

Hey folks, long time lurker here finally breaking the silence.

Long story, short due to a big mess of personal and relationship / work issues in 2014 I had 8 late payments (3 on a Capital One account, 3 on a credit union CC account, 2 on a credit union auto loan), defaulted on a Comenity card ($18K, settled for $14K) and an Amex Platinum ($36K, currently at $24K and paying off on a monthly basis - they served me papers, and I called the 'law firm' and set up a payment plan). 

The accounts I had left were:

Bank of America Cash Rewards Amex ($1000 CL)

Capital One Secured CC ($750 CL -- this one I missed payments on)

Discover It ($1500 CL, no lates)

Credit Union CC ($5000 CL, but frozen and now only in repayment phase)

Prosper personal loan ($10000 @ 9%)

Auto Loan ($10000)

In 2014 my credit was (understandably) dreadful, but I have been getting better at managing the credit. I used my cards a lot and PIF every month. 

The Nov 2016 situation: in the last three months I added two cards and got a nice CLI from Discover. I asked BofA for a credit line increase (foolishly) and they closed my credit card altogether and now I am in the process of switching my accounts to Chase to hope for eventually qualifiying for a credit card there.

I have sent goodwill letters last month to Cap One and my CU in hopes of erasing my bad marks.

Current:

Capital One Secured - $750

Capital One Quicksilver One - instant approved at $3000

Discover It - last month, CLI from $1500 to $5500 (! yay !)

SYNC Amazon Store Card - approved at $1500 (maybe I can get a CLI on this?)

Car Loan is down to roughly $5000

Prosper loan is 3 months away from being paid off

Amex collections account is still at $24K 

Scores are around 620/640 all around. 

Would love some advice on what I am doing and what I should do next. I am not going to go after more credit at this point, I think -- I have two hard inqs on the report now and really want good odds for a Chase Freedom / Sapphire Preferred in the future. 

I got most of this rebuildling done thanks to all you, thank you for all the posts! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next steps in rebuilding?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey folks, long time lurker here finally breaking the silence.

Long story, short due to a big mess of personal and relationship / work issues in 2014 I had 8 late payments (3 on a Capital One account, 3 on a credit union CC account, 2 on a credit union auto loan), defaulted on a Comenity card ($18K, settled for $14K) and an Amex Platinum ($36K, currently at $24K and paying off on a monthly basis - they served me papers, and I called the 'law firm' and set up a payment plan). 

The accounts I had left were:

Bank of America Cash Rewards Amex ($1000 CL)

Capital One Secured CC ($750 CL -- this one I missed payments on)

Discover It ($1500 CL, no lates)

Credit Union CC ($5000 CL, but frozen and now only in repayment phase)

@Anonymous personal loan ($10000 @ 9%)

Auto Loan ($10000)

In 2014 my credit was (understandably) dreadful, but I have been getting better at managing the credit. I used my cards a lot and PIF every month. 

The Nov 2016 situation: in the last three months I added two cards and got a nice CLI from Discover. I asked BofA for a credit line increase (foolishly) and they closed my credit card altogether and now I am in the process of switching my accounts to Chase to hope for eventually qualifiying for a credit card there.

I have sent goodwill letters last month to Cap One and my CU in hopes of erasing my bad marks.

Current:

Capital One Secured - $750

Capital One Quicksilver One - instant approved at $3000

Discover It - last month, CLI from $1500 to $5500 (! yay !)

SYNC Amazon Store Card - approved at $1500 (maybe I can get a CLI on this?)

Car Loan is down to roughly $5000

Prosper loan is 3 months away from being paid off

Amex collections account is still at $24K 

Scores are around 620/640 all around. 

Would love some advice on what I am doing and what I should do next. I am not going to go after more credit at this point, I think -- I have two hard inqs on the report now and really want good odds for a Chase Freedom / Sapphire Preferred in the future. 

I got most of this rebuildling done thanks to all you, thank you for all the posts! 

I despise BoA.....

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next steps in rebuilding?

They really are the worst. They also did a hard pull on my credit which I never authorized, which I am trying to sort out for months now. Garbage company. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.