Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps

tag
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Next steps

So as of today I am 9 months in my rebuild and have some decent cards and limits. My over all goal is a better rewards card in the end of course I originally wanted a chase freedom but I don't fit their profile yet. I see no new accounts for 2 years and no inquiries and of course I baddies. My last goal is a newer car within the next year or two and now I have some small limit cards such as finger hut that I wanted to know if I closed a 250 finger hut card would it hurt me? No more store cards for me got my Barclays rewards card and some good capital one cards and my usaa which I can't close my first card. Working on a good amount of baddies as I go to have completed by next year what are you thoughts??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next steps

@sparklerd34 wrote:
So as of today I am 9 months in my rebuild and have some decent cards and limits. My over all goal is a better rewards card in the end of course I originally wanted a chase freedom but I don't fit their profile yet. I see no new accounts for 2 years and no inquiries and of course I baddies. My last goal is a newer car within the next year or two and now I have some small limit cards such as finger hut that I wanted to know if I closed a 250 finger hut card would it hurt me? No more store cards for me got my Barclays rewards card and some good capital one cards and my usaa which I can't close my first card. Working on a good amount of baddies as I go to have completed by next year what are you thoughts??

If those two Cap One cards are older than 6 months, and one has no balance, you may be able to combine them into a single card - I would do that after their next CLI's, and then app for another Cap One card.

Closing the FH account will not hurt you.

Message 2 of 9
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@NormanFH thanks I never thought about that..that's a good point I contacted capital one and they told me to call back in dec and February to see about waiving the AF my CLI will be in September on capital one. I will close finger hut because I don't see anything in interested in they are so expensive and I don't want a gazillion card and look bad. I'm keeping my macys and nordstrom and a few Comenity cards

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:
@Anonymous thanks I never thought about that..that's a good point I contacted capital one and they told me to call back in dec and February to see about waiving the AF my CLI will be in September on capital one. I will close finger hut because I don't see anything in interested in they are so expensive and I don't want a gazillion card and look bad. I'm keeping my macys and nordstrom and a few Comenity cards

Yes, if you log into your accounts at Cap One, go to the "Services" tab and select "more" you should see under "card sevices" a link for "Request an account combination". This is a brand new service from Cap One that will allow you to combine two smaller accounts into one larger account. Basically it closes one account and adds its credit limit to the other account. The accounts must both be at least 6 months old, in good standing and the one being closed must have a zero balance and no pending charges.

Message 4 of 9
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

I guess my stupid question for this is with them both being a quicksilver card and I have no need for a venture what are the pros and cons?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:
@Anonymous thanks I never thought about that..that's a good point I contacted capital one and they told me to call back in dec and February to see about waiving the AF my CLI will be in September on capital one. I will close finger hut because I don't see anything in interested in they are so expensive and I don't want a gazillion card and look bad. I'm keeping my macys and nordstrom and a few Comenity cards

Regarding the FH account, I would just sock drawer the card, and let them close it for lack of use whenever they choose. There are no AF with them so it costs you nothing to just let it sit dormant.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pros - you have one card with a larger limit

Cons - you have one less card. But see below...

You can also apply for another card shortly after combining. I would wait until your next CLI's on the accounts, since the combination is treated like a CLI for that account.

Message 7 of 9
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Oh I closed it already for the FH

Message 8 of 9
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Got it I will think about capital one and see I have some time as for the FH heh told me unless I use it not growing and it's the last of the small limits. I use HSN and overstock

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.