Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps

tag
taj_laneal
New Contributor

Next steps

Hi.  I have an account that went to collections last year.  My CR states that $250 is owed.  I sent a settlement PFD for $150, but the collector refused.  They sent me a letter stating that they would delete if I pay $279 (which includes interest).  What are my options now?  Should I pay the CA?  Should I see if the OC will recall the account?  Should I DV?  My thing is that I only get paid once a month, and I really don't want to pay $250 all at once, but I will if that is what I have to do.

Starting Score: 09/14 EQ 596 TU 587 EX 588
Current Score: 11/14 EQ 670
TU 602 (CK VantageScore 688)
EX 656

Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Re: Next steps

Well the plus is that the CA said they would Delete if you pay the $279. You can try to counter offer but im not sure how effective that would be.

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 2 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Pay it!  You might not get this deal again and you will regret it for the next 7 years (Or however long until it drops).  Go ahead and be broke until next payday.  Well worth it.  Trust me!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Pay it!  You might not get this deal again and you will regret it for the next 7 years (Or however long until it drops).  Go ahead and be broke until next payday.  Well worth it.  Trust me!

++++++++++++++++ 1

Very rare to get PFD offers, seize the opportunity.

Message 4 of 8
surfone7
Established Member

++++++++++++ 1 I would pay it!

Message 5 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Is the OC also reporting the account in addition to the CA?  If so call the OC and see if they will help you but must offer payment in full.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say take it, absolutely.It will save you so much more time (and time = money, right?) in the long run.

Or, if in very dire straits...

Get in contact with the CA, set up some kind of payment plan, and continue to stay in close contact (like weekly or twice-weekly phonecalls initiated by you) until you can pay it off.

I did this with three different CAs and one OC at a time when I simply could not manage the PFDs amounts they were offering--it was a choice between paying the CA's high PFDs or paying my rent.

I talked them down to a workable settlement amount with small monthly payments and RODE their butts via phone. Even when I didn't have anything to say except for a cheerful, "Hi, it's me, just calling to let you know that I am still completely committed to paying this off within the agreed-upon timeframe and my payment is coming through next week. I look forward to receiving your next statement!" They thought I was pretty weird. Smiley Tongue

However, this worked in my favor--a couple months after I paid them all off, I GW'd all of them and asked them to look back through their records on my account. Citing my extreme willingness to work with them and my near-constant contact, they were all happy to delete from my CRs without any fuss. 

My thought at the time was this: Considering how many people avoid CAs like the plague, making my account stand out with as many consumer-initiated phonecalls as possible would make a higher-up's decision regarding a GW delete easy(er) in the future. I called them more than they ever called me. Thankfully, it worked.

Warning: Even though I batted 4 for 4, this method is a total roll of the dice, and doesn't save you any money in the long run. I did it without any understanding of credit rebuilding practices at the time. If you want to take a crapshoot, research the CAs in question thoroughly here first, and see if they're sticklers when it comes to post-payment GW.

Message 7 of 8
taj_laneal
New Contributor

My straits aren't that dire, but I would like to avoid paying $279 all at once (I only get paid once a month, and I have been paying $300 extra per month to pay off my car).  I was thinking of drafting a letter to ask if I could PIF but over  two months.  The letter would say that I would make the first payment on receipt of their acceptance letter, and the final payment one month later in exchange for deletion.  Has anyone ever done that or heard of that working?

Starting Score: 09/14 EQ 596 TU 587 EX 588
Current Score: 11/14 EQ 670
TU 602 (CK VantageScore 688)
EX 656

Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.