Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Response This Far from DV Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Response This Far from DV Letter

I faxed 6 DV letters and so far, I haven't received any responses back except 1. 

It's coming up on 30-days on the 20th. Should I contact CFB and tell them that I DV'd them via Fax and provide Reciept of the Fax and the orignal letter that was sent over or should I call the CRA's and ask them to remove them or dispute them and attach the letters?

What's the best way to go about handling this?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: No Response This Far from DV Letter

The CA's aren't required to respond.  If your DV was timely, then they must stop all collection activities until which time they can validate the debt.  Usually, one the the following 3 things happens:

1. You hear nothing and the TL is removed.
  2. They validate the debt as yours.
  3. They provide documentation to you, but don't legally validate the debt.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this happen once.

1. They provide documentation to you, but don't legally validate the debt - . Can I still get this removed? It was medical. They provided a copy of the bill from the hospital.

I had the accounts in dispute to and they verifted those accounts. But, they're still required to validate the debt since I requested it correct?

If they don't delete anything off the file on the 30th day, should I call the CFB or what's the recommendation? 

I'm validating stuff from 2011/2010 to get it off my file.

Message 3 of 22
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

If they didn't appropriately validate the debt and continue to report, then you can file a complaint with the CFPB.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I file a compliant against the Collection Agency or against the Credit Reporting agency when filing with CFFB? Cause, if I filed it against the Collection Agency couldn't they turn around and try to validate the debt? 

Message 5 of 22
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

If the CA didn't provide a legal validation, then the complaint would be against them.  I understand your goal is to have the TL removed, but if it's a valid debt, then that's something you will need to deal with.  If they could validate the debt, then they would.  CA's don't like to waste a lot of time.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just notify the CRAs that they failed to respond and to please delete.

Also I would only have sent 1 DV letter to them (instead of 6).  Because they won't miss 6 DV letters, but they could have overlooked your 1 DV letter, which would let you tell the CRAs that they did not respond & to delete.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only sent 1 Letter.. I sent out letters to different companies..

Yea, none of them have responded yet. Should I wait until the full 30 days is up before submitting a compliant with CFBB?

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no problem taking care of debts if they validate.

Message 9 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

§ 809.  Validation of debts   [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.

If you ask the CRA's to delete on the notion of  "they didn't reply to my non-timely DV," they'll just brush you off, and will contact the CA, as to pass the advisory of Dispute, and will await the reply from the CA. The CRA's just act like a parrot, and don't take sides. The CA will ask the CRA's to mark the item as disputed, and communication will most likely resume with the CA towards the consumer. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.