cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Response to DV in 30 Days, 6 Month later larger bill!?!?

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

No Response to DV in 30 Days, 6 Month later larger bill!?!?

Back in February of last year, I received a dunning letter from West Asset Management for a disputed amount for a Spirit Wireless Bill. I DV'd West Asset, and they never got back to me -- in writing -- they kept calling. Now I receive a letter rfom West Asset stating that I owe the original disputed amount plus dual early termination fees!!!

What are my rights, if I don't get a response from a DV within 45 days?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Response to DV in 30 Days, 6 Month later larger bill!?!?

Hopefully you sent the first DV CMRRR.  Either way, shoot off another DV letter stating that they are in violation of FDCPA 809(b) which states "the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt…until the debt collector obtains verification…and a copy of such verification…is mailed to the consumer.”  Attach a copy of the first letter if you have it.  I'd also cease and desist them in the same letter.  Finally, send it all by CMRR.

You may also file a complaint with the FCC.  If they still try and collect without responding to the DV letter and in the face of a cease and desist, you should probably consult an attorney about a next step.  Right now you've got to build a good paper trail in case you do have to take further action.   

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You DV'ed within the 30 day window, and they never responded? Did you send it CMRRR? I don't see how they can legally collect until they validate. Not really sure how you should proceed, hopefully someone will chime in. I am either thinking a second DV or dispute with CRA (if they are reporting and updating) including copies of your DV, the greencard, and MAYBE their original letter to you.
Message Edited by going2tdc on 01-22-2009 07:45 PM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully you sent the first DV CMRRR.  Either way, shoot off another DV letter stating that they are in violation of FDCPA 809(b) which states "the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt…until the debt collector obtains verification…and a copy of such verification…is mailed to the consumer.”  Attach a copy of the first letter if you have it.  I'd also cease and desist them in the same letter.  Finally, send it all by CMRR.

You may also file a complaint with the FCC.  If they still try and collect without responding to the DV letter and in the face of a cease and desist, you should probably consult an attorney about a next step.  Right now you've got to build a good paper trail in case you do have to take further action.   

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 809 places no burden on a CA to ever respond to a DV request.  There is no time limit running against them.   What it does is bar any further active collection activity on their part until they choose to validate.

If the CA contacted you after they received your DV letter, then that is a violation of the FDCPA.  But the CRAs are not a party to the FDCPA DV process, and I see no reason to dispute with the CRAs.  It will be ignored.

I would send a letter to the CA notifying them that you hold them to be in vioalation of the FDCPA for continued collection activity after receipt of your DV request, and instructing them to cease and desist all collection activity.

Yes, the bill can still grow if it remains unpaid, even if you have DV'd/

Have they ever reported their collection account to a CRA?  If so, that will open up some new grounds under the FCRA.  Keep us posted.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PayYouNever wrote:

Back in February of last year, I received a dunning letter from West Asset Management for a disputed amount for a Spirit Wireless Bill. I DV'd West Asset, and they never got back to me -- in writing -- they kept calling. Now I receive a letter rfom West Asset stating that I owe the original disputed amount plus dual early termination fees!!!

What are my rights, if I don't get a response from a DV within 45 days?

As Robert states, your rights derive from the FDCPA 809.

File immediately complaints with the BBB (online), the AGs in your and the CA's states (online or download and fax a form), and with the FTC (online at www.ftc.gov - not the FCC which is another thing)

keep the complaints brief: "I sent DV letter per FDCPA 809 to CA X on xx\xx\xx, they received it on XX\XX\XX. They never responded to validation but continued collection effort in clear violation of the FDCPA by making several calls and sending more collection notices for this unvalidated alleged debt."

after the complaints, send short letter to CA: "I sent you DV letter per FDCPA 809 on xx\xx\xx, You received it on XX\XX\XX. You never responded to validation but continued collection effort in clear violation of the FDCPA by making several calls and sending more collection notices for this unvalidated alleged debt. From today I will hold you in willful violation of the FDCPA for continuing collection activity without providing validation to this alleged debt."

Wait 10 days for their response and check if the collection has been removed from the CRAs.

If you haven't received validation and the collection is still on your credit report, send a ITS letter to the CA asking for $1,000 per violation (each CRA they report this to), and give them 7 days from receipt to remove.

after 7 + 5 days, if not gone and have not received validation, file suit in small claim court in your district and serve notice to the CA as per your court clerk guidelines.

Message 5 of 7
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

demed,

thanks for the advice. I'll do the necessary things. I send everythign CMRRR, so I just need to pull the card, make copies and get the exact info for the letter to the CA.

Thanks. I'll let the forum know what happened.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PayYouNever wrote:

demed,

thanks for the advice. I'll do the necessary things. I send everythign CMRRR, so I just need to pull the card, make copies and get the exact info for the letter to the CA.

Thanks. I'll let the forum know what happened.

good luck and don't forget the complaints to the agencies - they need to be done before you get to the ITS statge and they are your club, as the CAs fear them more than our letters...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.