cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer have a FICO score/where do I go from a blank slate?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No longer have a FICO score/where do I go from a blank slate?

Have you tried opening an account with a local CU?   Then you can get a secured card with them. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried the CU thing yet.  I may try but for full disclosure and to make my situation even more difficult I believe I'm in ChexSystems from 3 or 4 years ago.  I was in a very baaad situation a few years back which I'm still reeling from and I pretty much feel like the least responsible person on the planet.  Well...let's just say that I have learned from my mistakes.  I don't know where to go from here.  Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 17
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Many Credit Unions do not check ChexSystems. So do, some don't. There are lists of Chex free CUs online. Google for them. I do not believe NFCU uses Chex. You can get a free Chex report and you can dispute items on there just like you can with a CRA. I believe most banks will delete if you pay. Chex auto deletes after 5 years.

I also agree with the advice I've seen. Get into a CU, then get a secured card.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice.  I'm looking into local credit unions at the moment,  I just have to get lucky and find one that won't use ChexSystems or check my credit report.  I am a bit overwhelmed by all of this and for my sanity am putting this whole credit recovery thing on the backburner.  It is incredibly stressful and disheartening and I really don't want anymore inquiries on my report since that is the sole thing on there.  

Message 14 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice.  I'm looking into local credit unions at the moment,  I just have to get lucky and find one that won't use ChexSystems or check my credit report.  I am a bit overwhelmed by all of this and for my sanity am putting this whole credit recovery thing on the backburner.  It is incredibly stressful and disheartening and I really don't want anymore inquiries on my report since that is the sole thing on there.  

Do you think its because you are a full time student with no income? I understand that CC's have different underwriting criteria for students, but don't they require at least some minimum income before they will issue a card? Just a thought...I don't really know. I'm rebuilding myself.

At least with the secured card there is some collateral for the lender. BTW, you can order your Chex system report just like you can your other reports. Google the link for chex system to see the process. You will want to know exactly what is on that report, even if you go with a CU that doesn't pull one.

Message 15 of 17
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Many credit unions WILL pull your credit report just to join, without even applying for credit. Perhaps you can talk them into using that pull to consider you for a credit card (secured or not) so you do not get two pulls.

Message 16 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

At this point I'm throwing in the towel.  There is clearly not a whole lot that I can really do and I certainly don't want to rack up a bunch of hard inquiries on my credit report.  I guess this is a hole I dug myself into almost ten years ago that I STILL cannot get out of.  What a wonderful system it is.  Any advice is greatly appreciated/needed as I am at my wits end with frustration.  

I think llecs gave you some great advice.  Go to a local credit union, preferably one with a secured card available.  Become a member, and get your start.  You could also ask to be added as an AU if you know anyone with good credit.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.